What's the chance of DH getting a day for his sisters wedding?

(15 Posts)
DataColour Tue 23-Aug-16 10:51:07

My DH starts in a new school this Sept. His sisters wedding is during term time , but his previous school school was on half term that week, so wasn't a problem, that's why it was booked for that week. But now, his new school wouldn't be on holiday at the time and he needs to get the day off.
He is reluctant to even ask, but he hasn't got a choice I guess as it's his sisters wedding.
What do you think his chances are of getting the day off?
Thanks

DataColour Tue 23-Aug-16 10:51:43

Wedding is in October.

Fayrazzled Tue 23-Aug-16 10:52:15

At my school, there wouldn't be a problem. Definitely worth asking.

tireddotcom72 Tue 23-Aug-16 10:52:51

I was given a day off unpaid for family wedding, I work in a primary school and they are quite flexible as long as we give plenty of notice.

PotteringAlong Tue 23-Aug-16 10:52:53

Depends on the school, depends on the SLT. Did he tell them at interview that he'd got it booked in and that his half terms were different?

fruityb Tue 23-Aug-16 10:54:15

I've had three unpaid days for weddings. Ask asap and surely it'll be fine.

Coconutty Tue 23-Aug-16 10:55:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DataColour Tue 23-Aug-16 10:58:54

No he didn't tell them at interview. Maybe he should have told them when they offered him the job at least.
It's secondary school and he's going to be a key stage leader, so I hope that's not going to affect it.

DataColour Tue 23-Aug-16 11:00:52

I work in higher education and my timetable isn't finalised and I don't know if I can go either! At least one of us will have to go as the kids are flower girl and page boy (I need to ask their school for permission for absence too).

PotteringAlong Tue 23-Aug-16 11:12:39

I think he would have been grand if he'd told them when they've offered him the job - now it looks like it could have been sorted afterwards. He will just have to ask and see. 5 years ago at my (secondary) school it wouldn't have been a problem; now it would be a flat no.

He needs to ask on the first day back though.

DataColour Tue 23-Aug-16 12:35:44

yeah he will ask on his first day. Fingers crossed!

CheckpointCharlie2 Tue 23-Aug-16 14:13:05

I got a day off unpaid for my bros wedding last October, am sure he will be able to but he needs to get on it straight away!

TheFallenMadonna Tue 23-Aug-16 14:16:07

Wouldn't have been a problem in any of the schools I have worked in. Paid or unpaid would vary though.

Shadowboy Tue 23-Aug-16 16:33:44

Would be fine where I work. But we don't pay for cover staff so I'd just feel guilty colleagues were doing the extra but they wouldn't say no.

clam Tue 23-Aug-16 21:44:06

Wouldn't be a problem where I am either, for staff or pupils.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now