Floor standards

(6 Posts)
neolara Thu 04-Aug-16 22:33:28

Just seen [http://schoolsweek.co.uk/league-tables-2016-how-your-school-will-be-judged/?utm_content=bufferebe9c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer this article about how floor standards are to be judged]].

It looks like primary schools will be considered below floor standards if fewer than 65% of kids pass combined reading, writing and maths. And a coasting schools is one where fewer than 85% of kids pass reading, writing and maths. But nationally, only 53% passed. So pretty much every school will not meet floor standards and be considered coasting. I can't possibly have got that right, have I? Even for the government, this seems totally insane. And completely depressing.

neolara Thu 04-Aug-16 22:35:06

Sorry. Second attempt at clicky link.

floor standards info

lougle Thu 04-Aug-16 22:49:47

Not really, because the 53% is a combined result from all schools. So some schools could have a pass rate of 98%, whilst others could have a pass rate of 18%. Some schools will have met floor standards but be considered coasting, some will be considered to be good, some will have marginally failed and some will have drastically failed.

That's before you get the nuances of a school which is really strong in 2 of the 3 areas but is dragged down by the third....

SisterViktorine Fri 05-Aug-16 19:23:25

The 'coasting' category looks perfectly engineered to allow forced academisation of the majority of Primary schools.

Almost like there was an agenda..

noblegiraffe Sat 06-Aug-16 11:29:35

I'm sure that the 'failure' rate at KS2 which was decided arbitrarily is preparation for the intended increase in failure rate in Maths and English GCSE next year.

HopeClearwater Tue 09-Aug-16 16:53:36

Almost like there was an agenda

hmm sadly, yes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now