Supply Teaching

(5 Posts)
bangingmyheadoffabrickwall Mon 11-Jul-16 10:23:59

I work part time (0.6 contract).

I have been with my current school for over 10 years, not always part-time, and looking for a change.

I want to eventually go back full time within the next couple of years.

My local council do not open the supply list until October but I am wondering if I can apply to go on the register but stipulate that for the time being I can only work Monday due to my part time job at my school as well as childcare issues.

Can this be done?

I am hoping to 'put my face out a bit' prior to applying for full time positions as I live and work in a county that seemingly has a philosophy of employing 'those in the know', IYKWIM. A previous HT did confirm that this was 'rife' in my LEA - employing people who are either personally known to the SLT team of a school, or have worked for them before for a period of time.

TIA

Euphemia Tue 12-Jul-16 19:38:44

I did similar: no jobs when I qualified so I went on the supply list. No work at all one year so I took an admin job Mon-Weds. I told the council that I was available Thu and Fri for supply, which they were fine with and indeed offered me work on those days covering NQTs' days out.

t4gnut Wed 13-Jul-16 11:55:01

There are councils that still coordinate supply? Blimey - none near here do.

Euphemia Wed 13-Jul-16 12:25:51

In Scotland there are no supply agencies, it's all done through the councils.

BackforGood Wed 13-Jul-16 12:31:44

Don't know the answer specifically as our council haven't coordinated supply for a long time, but - would it be worth contacting your teaching friends and letting them know you are looking for supply work from October? Asking your HT (if they know this is your plan, and they believe you are good, obviously) to put the word out amongst other local HTs - IMe, most will know each other and pass recommendations around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now