Occupational health

(11 Posts)
monet24 Sun 19-Jun-16 19:23:26

Are occupational health supportive? What are people's experiences? Had a couple of bad months not really at work, but at home. Work thankfully are supportive and about a month ago suggested that occupational health might help as they noticed I wasn't my usual self. I try to keep home and work separate but lack of sleep has obvioysly given the game away. Still nanaged through the bad times to still have fantastic observations so my performance of a teacher is not in question. My appointment has come through and it's next Friday. Part of me would sooner just soldier on and not go but would this look bad? Try as I might to realise it is supportive.

Clonakiltylil Sun 19-Jun-16 21:45:00

You have to go. It's ok - I have been 4 times. You can decide whether or not the consultant should have access to your medical records and if you tick the 'no' box, the person will base the report on what you say.

I was terrified the first time and vomiting because of the anxiety of it, but I found it really helpful. Any adjustments I needed were written down in the report so that I could keep working. You can see the report before it goes to your employer too, if you like.

Personally, I found OH really helpful.

monet24 Sun 19-Jun-16 22:06:09

Thank you so much for replying. I know that I am the kind of person who will loose more sleep between now and then. Its the unknown. It will not go against me if I want to see the report first? What I tell them is confidential isn't it?

DrownedGirl Tue 21-Jun-16 21:06:37

The school won't really know you asked to see it first. It will just be issued to them once written and cleared by you.

nothruroad Tue 21-Jun-16 21:23:36

I found OH hugely supportive when I was ill. Like you I had been dreading it but the doctor was just lovely, I saw the report first and my school made lots of adjustments that have really helped me. I wish I had done it a lot sooner. Good luck.

Stargazing25 Tue 21-Jun-16 21:26:48

Everyone referred to OH that I know have said they are very supportive and on your side. I was once sent to see them when I had chicken pox. That was a total waste of time but I found the lady to be really lovely.

3littlefrogs Tue 21-Jun-16 21:29:35

I used to work in OH.
Technically everything you discuss with them is confidential.
However, I would advise you to ask them directly whether HR have any access to any OH records.

I applied for a job in the NHS and was told by HR to send my health questionnaire to them, and they would "pass it on" to OH. I spoke directly to the OH nurse and said I would not be applying for the job in view of the system in place.

It is worth checking what regulations are in place.

That said, a good OH service can be a godsend to employees who need support and help with health related issues at work.

monet24 Tue 21-Jun-16 21:48:30

Thank you so much for your replies. Supportive is the key that people are saying so that is positive. Will they have to have access to my medical records? Got nothing to hide as work know what medication I am on due to a serious illness a couple of years ago. Again it's just the work home thing.

DrownedGirl Tue 21-Jun-16 22:05:08

They only have access to your medical records if you agree, and you can ask your GP to show you what they will be sending. In my case, they sent just a brief print out of recent appointment log, that was all. And OH don't then mention that in their report

nothruroad Wed 22-Jun-16 23:17:44

I just had to bring a list of my medication. They didn't get in touch with GP or consultant at all. I self-referred though so that might be different.

monet24 Sat 25-Jun-16 07:40:39

Well I went and she shared what she was putting in the report there and then. Asked about medical background and if I would give permission for my gp to be contacted, said was fine with that. Recommended I go for counselling which I have agreed to. She was shocked to be honest regarding some of the things I opened up about that are happening out of school and then of cause with then having to how she put it going in and doing what is a 'stressful' job at time's. Still obviously now worried and said to her yes 'putting things in a cupboard' and closing it needs to be opened and dealt with hence why counselling but just hope the supportive package is there in the work place as it is work that has tipped the balance. Still very very wary

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now