What would be the procedure here?

(13 Posts)
MiserlyMisery Sun 19-Jun-16 19:08:37

I asked in chat but no one answered, so hoping someone here can help.

Meeting with the head of DS's school tomorrow to discuss, amongst other things, his kindergarten teacher teaching the children to pull their eyes into slits when singing Chinese songs. So that I don't spout bollocks, I would like to know what procedure would happen in your school if a member of staff did this. I want to be able to categorically say (if there is a discussion about it) that in the UK, this would happen.

I shall already say, if need be, that it certainly happened whilst I was at school, but we were punished for it, it was never condoned by a teacher. Having said that, I am just hoping they will take note and realise they shouldn't be doing it any more. Even though a couple of local parents don't seem to have a problem with it, its seen as acceptable if it's meant in a friendly way.

Maidupmum Sun 19-Jun-16 19:42:36

I've answered on chat smile

hideouspain Sun 19-Jun-16 20:01:09

Teacher would be spoken to and told it is unacceptable. That's all I think.

MiserlyMisery Sun 19-Jun-16 20:24:32

Thanks!

StealthPolarBear Sun 19-Jun-16 20:29:05

Really hideous? I would imagine it would be treated as a racist incident!

Maidupmum Sun 19-Jun-16 20:33:08

I disagree Hideous. I would treat this very seriously.

Celticlassie Sun 19-Jun-16 20:33:38

I'd have thought it would be treated as a racist incident too. I'd imagine the teacher would be disciplined. It's against GTC(S) standards.

StealthPolarBear Mon 20-Jun-16 18:17:53

Any update op?

MiserlyMisery Mon 20-Jun-16 20:55:34

shock "I have been teaching since 1982 and in all that time, no one has ever brought this up!" shock

I was diplomatic, you'll be pleased to know, and looking at the head I requested they review their policy of teaching the children to pull their eyes into slits. The above was the teachers response, head immediately defended her, but laughingly said it was called political correctness these days. Said it wasn't meant in a negative way. I said I understood. Teacher asked if I meant all dressing up as she, and the children, see it as an integral part of mime. By doing it, they become a Chinese child singing. Asked how she should now go on with this (the youngest half the class will be in the lass still next year, mixed class) as the children will want to do it. I said there is a great difference in my view in children doing something and being instructed to do something by a teacher. (Head agreed). She said that they are in kindergarten and should be allowed to do things like that, I said that as it is no longer acceptable to do it out and about these days as everywhere is more international that the teachers should not be teaching children to do things in school that are not acceptable out of school. Mentioned that children did it when I was at school, but it was not accepted.

The head has agreed to raise it in the staff room. He also asked her if she had ever had a Chinese girl in her class (no). I.e that they will not encourage it in the future. Best I could of hoped for really. Culture clash!

StealthPolarBear Mon 20-Jun-16 20:59:51

I am shock

Celticlassie Mon 20-Jun-16 22:34:39

That's really shocking. Is it a really old fashioned school?

MiserlyMisery Tue 21-Jun-16 05:41:04

Probably not compared to the rest over here! I asked around the mums I know, those that were born and brought up here have no issue with it (neither does MIL nor DH, who said there are more important things to worry about) but any mums who have contact with international families/have travelled/lived elsewhere, were all shocked. Along the lines of well, we were taught that at school but that was 30 years ago surely they don't still do that!

The bigger problem for us is it mirrors her attitude to people with Sn, and DS has asd.

I know it seems like I haven't kicked up a fuss and demanded whatever, but my DD will be in her class for two years as of August, and we need to keep the school onside as DS will certainly have ongoing difficulties. It's only in the last 5-10 years that the schools have had to include/integrate children with asd, so they are absolutely not used to it. Neither is this teacher. We are in a small town, 20 children max in each year group. We are newbies, having only moved here two years ago and are mild troublemakers in that we have already had a few disagreements with the school over language (they want us to stop speaking our native languages with the DC, we refused) so I have no problem saying, " I was schooled in England and this would happen there." But I did want to make sure my facts were correct. I already have the reputation of being the weird foreigner so might as well use it to my advantage!

Maidupmum Tue 21-Jun-16 16:25:49

I am appalled that people still think this is acceptable. I would refer this to the LA or OFSTED. It's totally unacceptable

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now