Teachers - what would you like your line manager to buy you as a gift?

(19 Posts)
Olivo Sat 18-Jun-16 09:24:55

I have a team of 9 people that I manage and try to buy a little gift at the end of term, to thank them for their work. Just a few pounds each but something they might appreciate.

Any ideas please? mostly women, if that make a difference.

MsMermaid Sat 18-Jun-16 09:28:21

I like chocolate.

I always get wine, every year, even though everyone at school knows I don't drink.

Everyone is different though, most of my department are thrilled with wine.

I wouldn't like smellies but others would.

I'd really love some nice stationery.

BatmanLovesMarmite Sat 18-Jun-16 09:51:54

A sense of worth as a teacher grin

Or pretty much what MsMermaid said - especially stationery. Nice pens, Post Its in shapes that you can never justify buying because of the price, Pukka Pad, that sort of thing.

cannotlogin Sat 18-Jun-16 10:49:51

My previous HOD used to buy wine/chocolate but always gave a card with comments relating to funny things that had happened during the year, any positive personal observations on our teaching, thanks for being....whatever fit our personality etc. It always made me feel understood and valued way more than any present could have.

TheTroubleWithAngels Sat 18-Jun-16 11:07:52

If you were going to buy stationery, but the really impractical things.

I got Starbucks vouchers which I really appreciated.

likealaugh Sat 18-Jun-16 12:54:44

Small plant for the garden ? Or a potted one.

Olivo Sat 18-Jun-16 13:53:49

Thanks for your ideas. I always do a card, hadn't thought about plants. Didn't know if I was the only stationery geek so nice to have it confirmed that others might like that.

LottieDoubtie Sat 18-Jun-16 13:57:27

A gift? From my line manager?

Ohh I remember those days <wistful>

Sorry not helpful, I agree stationery/coffee vouchers/wine AND a nice card would be best.

Olivo Sat 18-Jun-16 16:47:23

I'm guessing it is glaring evident that I am new to middle management....grin

The thing I'd most appreciate is a card, with a genuinely felt message inside. A Muji notebook with a tinny token chocolate gift would always make me v happy too.

leccybill Sat 18-Jun-16 16:58:42

Wine
Wine
Wine
Wine
Wine

noblegiraffe Sat 18-Jun-16 17:11:47

I don't like wine but do eat chocolate.
A generic card with 'thanks for all your hard work this year' would be a bit meh, but more than I'm expecting as we got nothing last year or at Xmas.
A plant would annoy me as I hate gardening. I guess you need to know your team! My boss would definitely know to buy me chocolate.

flowerfairy Sat 18-Jun-16 19:23:40

Yes our head bought us all a famous coffee café voucher for Christmas which was nice to have a treat with.

Acopyofacopy Sat 18-Jun-16 19:54:59

I'd really like a fruit bowl for the department office.

LockedOutOfMN Sun 26-Jun-16 13:53:31

Our HoD gives us all wine, which we all love, apart from two teetotallers, who get chocolate, which they both love.

She also writes us really sweet cards with heartfelt messages which I love as much as the wine.

rainbowstardrops Sun 26-Jun-16 13:56:11

A lovely heartfelt card is always appreciated. I think a coffee shop voucher or similar is lovely

CodewordRochambeau Sun 26-Jun-16 14:47:19

I inherited a tradition in my English department that the HOF would buy all of the teachers a book at the end of the year to read over the summer, inscribed with a message to thank him / her for her hard work. I consequently have some treasured books on my shelves. Doesn't have to cost much if you buy paperbacks or use The Book People.

GinandJag Sun 26-Jun-16 18:26:09

Can't imagine getting a gift from my line manager (the head) but think something under a fiver appropriate (cheap wine or chocolates) - something consumable.

apple1992 Sun 26-Jun-16 18:27:18

Wine absolutely. Or just a card with a thoughtful message - they are worth much more!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now