Losing TLR when returning part time from maternity leave

(15 Posts)
Summerdays2014 Fri 03-Jun-16 14:17:01

Hi all, I am returning to work in a few months and would like to do 3 days a week. I would also like to keep my responsibility as head of faculty. Have any of you managed to keep a TLR on 3 days a week? I have to go for a meeting soon and am unsure what the school will say about my request... Am I hoping for too much? Many thanks

missy111 Fri 03-Jun-16 19:59:32

We are one of the few schools who allow PT HOD's. The only stipulation is that you have to do at least 3 days, and answer urgent emails/phone calls on your day off. No one takes the mickey, regarding this contact, and in 3 years I have been phoned once!

noblegiraffe Fri 03-Jun-16 21:45:06

TLRs for part timers aren't allowed at my school, so I guess it would depend on your SLT.

I'm three days a week and due to the timetable still have to be in teaching every day so my school isn't great for part timers all-round.

Howaboutthisone Fri 03-Jun-16 21:51:41

Our school allow it but I'm pretty sure they change the TLR payment to 0.6 if you're 0.6. Noone else does the other 0.4. Might be something to watch out for too.

melonribena Fri 03-Jun-16 22:47:03

I have a tlr and am 0.6. Another teacher is paid for 0.4 of it and we share the load accordingly. We work different days!

missy111 Sat 04-Jun-16 08:22:29

We get the full TLR even if we are part time, hence the agreement to deal with urgent matters on day off. I am very aware of just how great my school is at dealing with part timers!

katemiddletonsnudeheels Sat 04-Jun-16 12:41:12

That sounds awful giraffe

Noodledoodledoo Sun 05-Jun-16 12:33:53

I would have been expected to do full tlr on 0.6 pay of it so I resigned the position. I was a ks coordinator for a core subject.

Arguments I got were needing to be in full time to support other staff, observe lessons etc, I did point out it could be easily split and shared but they weren't keen.

Apart from the money side which would have been useful have not regretted it once. Being part time is hard enough with a toddler!

Littlefish Mon 06-Jun-16 21:06:47

In my school, you have to be at least 4 days to hold a TLR. You receive the TLR pro rata for the number of days you work, even though no-one else is doing the other part of the job,

ElegantDream Tue 07-Jun-16 16:26:33

Do you already have a TLR? Are you in an LEA school? (Academies make their own rules).

If so, I don't think you can just give it up - it's linked to the job. So you would have to keep it, or at least a % of it.

I would ask your Union or on TES as I think my facts are correct, but please verify it first.

If you don't have one, then they don't have to allocate it.

Noodledoodledoo Tue 07-Jun-16 22:02:59

I know lots of people who have dropped their TLR's and not always due to going to part time. Some as they no longer want the responsibility, some are just not enjoying it, all sorts of reasons. This is in both LEA and Academy schools.

Mine was considered completely separately to my teaching role.

I am secondary so not sure if primary is different.

ElegantDream Tue 07-Jun-16 22:08:18

I think it depends on when you got it.

If the job was advertised with the TLR, then the TLR is part of the job and can't just be given up.

If you got a job and then got the TLR, the. You can give it up (if agreed)

BeckyWithTheMediocreHair Fri 10-Jun-16 00:19:42

You will only get a proportion of the TLR, but the whole job will still need to be done. I'm personally of the opinion that HOF is a role that doesn't really work PT; it isn't fair on your team only to have their leader their for three days. Would you consider job-sharing the TLR?

BeckyWithTheMediocreHair Fri 10-Jun-16 00:20:06

Yikes, there!

Fourarmsv2 Wed 15-Jun-16 23:15:15

I job share a TLR. We get half each. HOD of core subject. We've split by KS which works well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now