Please, please, please can anyone help me with an interview lesson?

(25 Posts)
MrsWembley Wed 11-May-16 18:22:29

I teach English and have been invited to interview at an Alternative Provision; only they want me to do my twenty minutes in PSHE!!!

I've never had my own tutor group and so have only ever helped out other teachers do something that's already been planned!

Any ideas? Anybody?confused

PurpleAlerts Wed 11-May-16 18:28:36

What area of SN does the alternative provision cater for?

MrsWembley Wed 11-May-16 19:09:33

EBD - and the brief notes on the pupils that will be in the lesson say most of them are academically able.

thefemaleJoshLyman Wed 11-May-16 19:16:40

Any particular area of PSHE? I think I have a decent lesson on babies in boxes somewhere?

tinks269 Wed 11-May-16 19:49:06

How many of them will there be? and what age?
I have an idea but it depends if you are a risk taker or not and also how many of them there would be. I'm guessing not huge group as it is EBD.

kscience Wed 11-May-16 19:54:28

You will be more confident if it is a lesson you have planned.
Attack it like you would an English lesson
Decide on a topic: play to your strengths if not been given a title - steer away from sex with classes you don't know and cant predict their reaction.
Then just decide on learning objectives and set tasks that will provide evidence that pupils have met the objectives.
Look at the TES resources for ideas to adapt.

Just think of it as an english lesson with a theme

Good luck

kscience Wed 11-May-16 19:59:37

To add another useful website
www.pshe-association.org.uk/

cansu Wed 11-May-16 20:03:03

What about a lesson on equality and discrimination. They may well have a strong sense of fairness and justice, plus they may themselves have experienced issues.

OneOfTheGrundys Wed 11-May-16 21:29:31

Yes to 'an English lesson with a theme'.
Think of the schemes of work you've taught that cover contemporary social issues. Arranged marriage in Romeo and Juliet for example.

MrsWembley Wed 11-May-16 22:11:14

Thanks for all these ideas!

According to the notes, they'll be five of them, Yr10, so yes, I think I'll avoid sexgrin

It's picking the theme, though. I'm just not used to doing these lessons. I'll pop off to bed now and peruse that website.

<ponders inequality and arranged marriages>

momtothree Wed 11-May-16 22:15:23

One of the best I was in -

The teacher asked a question -

Michael took load of bread from a shop - Was it theft?

Jane had to leave school early to collect her brother every day

Etc

They discussed-

Then they added a curve ball - Michael hadn't eaten for a week as his Benifits had been cut

James brother was in a wheel chair

And so on - so the views change with more information -

Roseformeplease Sat 14-May-16 11:57:38

Why not look at a poem - so you feel comfortable. And then focus on the issues that arise from it. Off the top of my head -

Stealing - Duffy - disaffected youth

Disabled - Owen - Treatment of the disabled then and now

Girl - Edwin Morgan - Euthanasia.

Etc. Or newspaper articles from different papers on the same issue (Hilsborough?)

Scarydinosaurs Sat 14-May-16 12:06:51

I'm also an English teacher who does very 'Englishy' PSHE. One of the most popular ones I've delivered (measuring popular by 'least resistance met') was when I went through what the Bechdel test was. Loads of bits online and students responded well to it.

CheckpointCharlie2 Sun 15-May-16 21:55:50

mrsw!!!! Helloooo!
No idea about psche being SENCO but goooood luck! Xxx

MrsWembley Mon 16-May-16 20:01:09

More ideas!! I need to get my head down and work it out...

Did a supply day in a PRU the other day and one of the teachers there gave me some ideas to work on too!! People are so lovely smile

MrsWembley Mon 16-May-16 20:01:28

<waves to Checky>

samlovesdilys Mon 16-May-16 21:13:57

How about using the infamous 'fleas in the jar' clip to explain the idea of limiting your own expectations/pushing boundaries etc??

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Mon 16-May-16 21:23:20

I've done the Milgram experiment before (not as an interview lesson; as part of teaching an English lesson): I give them simple instructions to follow (stand up, sit down, follow me down the corridor...and back into the classroom) and ask them why they did it. Leads in to an interesting discussion about authority and autonomy.

Foxyloxy1plus1 Wed 18-May-16 11:38:11

Rights and responsibilities

slug Wed 18-May-16 14:29:25

Why not make it topical and start with the Royal College of Midwives stance on the decrimilisation of abortion? It's in the news, has the potential to engage an academically able group and can go in multiple directions.

MrsWembley Mon 23-May-16 11:28:32

Okay, I've been looking at all the suggestions (interesting fleas in a jar experiment - thanks for putting me onto that, will definitely use it at some point, real or not!) and thinking about my own strengths and I think I'm going to go down the injustice/discrimination route, via personal values/identity/self-respect.

Oh god, I'm lost!

What could my learning objective be? I figure once I've got that sorted, the rest will fall into place... won't it?

confused

MrsWembley Mon 23-May-16 11:47:10

How about this?

Based around the title Does The Cap Fit?, I will get them to fill in the gaps on an 'identity dice' (thanks ASDAN!), so they can think about what it is that makes them a person and which bits that matter most and give them their personal values. Then I will ask them to briefly think about the other members of the group and what they value about each one, y'know, do they like them because they're kind or respect them for holding some point of view, admire them for something or other or trust them for some reason. From there we can have a whole class discussion about whether these match and if not, why not, which will lead (hopefullygrin) to thoughts about self-respect...

MrsWembley Mon 23-May-16 12:02:38

Or I could use the identity dice to get them to think about how others view and pre-judge them, y'know, discrimination due to gender/race/religion/family background...

I know no-one's actually responding right now, but it's bloody helpful to write this down!grin

kscience Mon 23-May-16 19:52:03

I like the idea about pre judging and flip it to how they prejudge others as a normal reaction based on their previous experiences and how they can be more open minded and remind themselves to think before they speak/act

MrsWembley Mon 23-May-16 20:36:29

Thank-you.smile I'm thinking of starting with a few pictures of Nigel Kennedy and Gary Rhodes, from back in the day when they were wild-child-mohican wearers, maybe Chris Packam too (sure he had one), Brian Cox from his boy band days complete with instrument (was he the guitarist or the drummer?) and Hedy Lamar. See what they all have to say about them based on how they look/dress and then bedazzle them with the truth! Then follow up with how they identify themselves in terms of gender/race/religion etc. and how they would like others to view them. Then finish with a group discussion on discrimination based on nothing more than first impressions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now