first aid - when do you phone parents?

(6 Posts)
monet24 Mon 09-May-16 20:41:23

Just completed paediatric first aid in preparation for next year. Just a thought as what does your school see as a 'call home to inform parents'. I know from in the past with my own children they have come home with literally eggs on heads from bumps and no phone call and on other occasions I have left work as had a call and it's just been a graze. Thoughts please? Is there guidance or is it up to individual schools?

Haggisfish Mon 09-May-16 20:43:38

There will be guidance. I would use my 'would I want to be phoned as a parent' internal guide if it wasn't covered by guidance.

almostthirty Mon 09-May-16 20:47:06

Any bump to the head regardless of how big/small gets a call just to let them know. Also any bump/cut to the face or cut that needs a big plaster. Basically anything that may cause shock to the parent when they collect or anything that needs monitoring gets a call.

TheWhompingWilly Mon 09-May-16 20:47:19

In my school, parents would be called if the child needed hospital treatment, if they were sick, if they felt faint or if they had a bad headache. Anyone with a bumped head gets checked by a first-aider and gets a letter sent home, advising the parent there was a head injury as these can sometimes get worse over time. Also for any sort of allergic reaction, even if we've treated it. Parents are also called if there's a nosebleed which lasts for longer than 20 minutes.

These are very general guidelines and it's not 100% reliable. We have had a child who picked themselves up after a fall and insisted they were fine who later turned out to have a fractured arm (not on my watch, thankfully!).

monet24 Mon 09-May-16 21:03:20

Thanks. Knew people would be great on here.

apple1992 Thu 12-May-16 17:55:25

I'm secondary - always call for any head injury no matter how minor. Even if just 'X banged his head in PE, appears and says he feels well but please can you keep an eye on him and collect so he isn't walking home alone'.
Always phone for permission to give paracetamol.
Always phone if possibility of break/fracture or similar and advise them to take to hosp.
Wouldn't call if they have a minor ailment unless they needed to go home or needed medication.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now