Teachers - what would you think if your HoD set out expectations of the teacher for every class?

(7 Posts)
lottytheladybird Fri 15-Apr-16 19:51:49

What would you think if your HoD set out the expectations of the teacher for every class. So, for example, for some classes, you might be expected to run a school trip, or for other classes, you might be expected to run an after school club for your subject to give extra help, etc.

LottieDoubtie Fri 15-Apr-16 20:09:27

I'd want to know if it was school policy? And I'd like to see some analysis on how they expected this to a)affect overall workload and b) benefit pupils.

Heirhelp Fri 15-Apr-16 20:23:41

Ask how it fits into your contracted hours. Is this happening across school?

TheTroubleWithAngels Fri 15-Apr-16 21:49:33

Our HT does.

In Scotland a working time agreement applies. At the start of every year our head goes through how she wants to reach the required hours (so many staff meetings, so many extra curriculars). It is open to initial negotiation and then we all sign to say we are happy with the expectations.

TheSolitaryWanderer Sat 16-Apr-16 08:01:52

Many primaries do this, it's a given that if you have a year group that goes on a residential, you'll do it. Or productions. Likewise most teachers will run a club and have a curriculum responsibility unless they are NQTs.
I've never been in a school where that wasn't the expectation.

enchantedfairytale Sat 16-Apr-16 08:03:21

I think the expectations need to be mutually agreed between the teacher and the HOD.

EvilTwins Sat 16-Apr-16 12:34:24

Unless it's worked into the directed time budget, a HOD cannot "expect" things like clubs or trips.

I teach drama and CHOOSE to spend time running productions and trips but to my own timescale etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now