One school - many vacancies!!!!

(11 Posts)
MrsGuyOfGisbo Mon 11-Apr-16 16:01:07

Today got an email from an agency recruiting for a school and was shock at the number of vacancies within one school.
^large Catholic Boys Academy near Crystal Palace, who are looking for a number of full time teachers to join them in September. The school has a fantastic community feel and every teacher I have places has enjoyed their time at the school. At time the boys can be challenging however they are the most polite of any school I have been to. The school is currently rated required improvement within their last Ofsted report.
Positions available:

Head of English Teacher

Head of History Teacher

Maths teacher

English Teacher

Design Technology and Engineering Teacher

Mandarin and EAL teacher

Physics Teacher

Biology Teacher

fourcorneredcircle Mon 11-Apr-16 16:11:28

Is that that many for a large school?? I've worked in good large schools with similar (and higher) numbers. Don't forget you don't know who's been internally promoted already leaving situations vacant. I bet the mandarin/EAL teacher is a new post too.

EvilTwins Tue 12-Apr-16 22:27:30

There's more than that going where I work. Rural secondary with only about 500 kids.

thatsn0tmyname Tue 12-Apr-16 22:29:58

We lose 10-15 staff each year, Including support staff- the goodbye leaving speeches give you a numb bum. Schools are so large now that it's inevitable.

albertcamus Wed 13-Apr-16 00:17:02

For Maths, English and any Science read the advert as plural. Always. I've seen four candidates turn up for what they all thought was one job in these subjects, then go home happy that they will all be needed.

This is my experience of the five schools I've worked in, not necessarily the one to which the OP refers.

Just another tip of the iceberg sticking up ...

MrsGuyOfGisbo Wed 13-Apr-16 08:39:06

Just another tip of the iceberg sticking up ...
Yes, that is what I thought.
The deadline for resignations is not until 30 May, so just seemed a lot for now.

FirstVix Sun 17-Apr-16 02:08:53

Not sure of the school's situation, but we are also advertising for core positions based on increased roll and a desire to have more intervention. Really innocent (even positive) reasons, but could look bad from outside I guess.

quarkandmarmite Fri 22-Apr-16 14:28:32

I know of a school near me (primary - 1 form entry) who are wanting EYFS, KS1 & KS2 and being, overall, 5 positions available!
That to me spells trouble and probably an unsupportive SLT and problematic school. People I know are avoiding the school at all costs!

MrsGuyOfGisbo Fri 22-Apr-16 18:37:08

Tested AlbertCamus's theory in a school I supplied in last week - spot on! Website advertising for 'Maths Teacher' among others.
There are four maths vacancies (out of 6 teachers now) three are leaving to go to independent schools and one is going to teach in an international school in the Middle East None of those are NQTs - all have several years' experience. There was one candidate worthy of interview (NQT-to-be) they were going to interview him/her this week - don't know the outcome.
All the local secondaries are advertising for 'Maths Teacher' on their websites.

albertcamus Fri 22-Apr-16 21:36:58

Ditto generic 'Cover Teacher/Supervisor' adverts; after brainwashing Year 11s into 12 and Year 9s into 10 towards 'options' which suit their schools rather than their interests,, timetable analysis will have flagged up which subjects need to be 'taught' from September due to staff turnover. Anything non-core eg H&S Care, Business, ICT, Citizenship, Geography etc etc will be scheduled to CS, if there are not enough Teach First, NQT or other staff to use as cannon fodder.

I don't mean any disrespect to these staff, I believe they are victims of a cynical system, along with students across the age & ability range.

Ladymuck Sun 24-Apr-16 16:04:20

If the school has just gone into RI, then good staff may want to jump quickly before any restructuring is needed. Unfortunately staff can be tainted by a school's reputation making it harder for them to find new posts a year or two down the line. But to be honest that doesn't look like an excessively long list of staff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now