When to hand in resignation?

(4 Posts)
hackneyzoo Sun 13-Mar-16 22:28:28

I know the official resignation dates and I will be resigning with effect from 1st Sept 2016. I am resigning for a variety of reasons and am pursuing a new career, however, one of the deciding factors is that the current atmosphere at my school is toxic, HT is extremely difficult to work with and unprofessional in a number of ways.
The school is small SEMH setting and the children are challenging, I love the teaching side of my job, just hate the rest of it. I am HOD and my subject is hard to recruit for, so I thought I might hand in my resignation before or just after Easter, to give them the best chance of recruiting someone good for September.
However by doing this am I leaving myself open? I wouldn't put it past SLT to give me lots of cover or treat me in a hostile way. So should I just wait until the end of May? Am not really sure. Psychologically I'd like to get it over and done with!

Theimpossiblegirl Sun 13-Mar-16 22:41:51

I'm in a very similar position. I want to do the nice thing and give plenty of notice, but don't want to leave myself vulnerable to scapegoating or hostility. I was going to give my notice next week so they can advertise before Easter should they wish. It's scary though.

SuperMoonIsKeepingMeUpToo Mon 14-Mar-16 07:50:35

If your HTs can't be trusted to do the honourable thing, look after yourselves and do it at the last moment. That said, I handed in my notice in the November to leave in the April, in the hope they might recruit for January. (Twas the longest 5 months ever.) SLT actually left me alone during that time but in hindsight it was risky and in your positions I'd definitely be keeping my cards close to my chest.

Good luck!

hackneyzoo Mon 14-Mar-16 22:41:02

I'm still undecided. Think I will hand it in after Easter and procrastinate a bit more. TBH I don't feel very full of good will, however I don't want to see the kids screwed over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now