union conference - what to take?!

(7 Posts)
RevealTheHiddenBeach Thu 03-Mar-16 18:36:55

I (bravely? Stupidly?) Have signed up for the nut south east young teachers conference, which has suddenly arrived - it's tomorrow and Saturday. It's my first experience of the union (I'm an nqt), and although I have been to nus conferences I know this will be different. I don't know anyone going!

Any idea at all what to expect and/or what to take?!

custardismyhamster Thu 03-Mar-16 19:25:02

Take a notebook and pen, you won't need anything else. (Not a teacher-an ex trade union official who has been to many conferences) if you're unsure of something, ask one of the other delegates-they'll be a friendly bunch. Well done for volunteering and I hope you enjoy it

MistressOfAll Thu 03-Mar-16 19:26:17

Your marking!

Maidupmum Thu 03-Mar-16 19:31:54

Some matchsticks to hold your eyes open.... or plenty of cash for the bar and then stay in your room with a hangover!

RevealTheHiddenBeach Thu 03-Mar-16 19:51:57

Thank you! I chose this one to test the waters as it's short and regional! Does everyone get really pissed? Do I need smart clothes? I don't want to be that numpty with a massive suitcase for one night...

Maidupmum Thu 03-Mar-16 20:28:14

I'd have to get pissed to go to an NUT conference grin

tethersend Thu 03-Mar-16 20:42:46

Ah, I went on one YEARS (and YEARS) ago... My advice is take a friend who you know you can have a laugh with, prepare to sit slack-jawed in horror at some of the delegates, get pissed and enjoy. Smart clothes certainly weren't necessary then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now