Can I get an EAL certificate quickly?

(8 Posts)
time2shine Wed 02-Mar-16 13:11:06

Could anyone advise me please? Do I need an EAL certificate to teach children with English as an additional language in the UK? Also, is there a way of getting a certificate online quickly? It is more of a means of jumping through hoops as I have been teaching children abroad who don't speak English for several years and have a Masters in teaching English. But I am presuming this is a prerequisite in British schools. Any advice would be appreciated!

hesterton Wed 02-Mar-16 13:14:36

No such thing as an EAL certificate. To become an EAL teacher, you need teacher training and then most schools would want you to have experience as a mainstream teacher - you would probably also have somea in stream teaching hours in your teacher trained subject too (secondary). You might get work as a TA or in an independent school based on your experience.

hesterton Wed 02-Mar-16 13:15:28

Sorry - 'some mainstream teaching hours'

time2shine Wed 02-Mar-16 13:34:26

Thanks for that. So if I've taught for 5 years, often to children who do not have English as their first language, and am trained in dyslexia teaching I may be able to apply for EAL roles without any extra training.....

time2shine Wed 02-Mar-16 13:36:04

Obviously I have QTS.

hesterton Fri 04-Mar-16 06:13:30

You can apply - there are not many roles about now but there are some, especially in larger and more diverse cities.

hesterton Fri 04-Mar-16 06:13:31

You can apply - there are not many roles about now but there are some, especially in larger and more diverse cities.

hesterton Fri 04-Mar-16 06:18:04

Sorry! Was going to say, some reading if you can find it:

Learning to learn in a second language by Pauline Gibbons. It is great for outlining the very big difference between tfl teaching and eal teaching.

Also there are some good National Strategies materials which the current
Government have ditched but can still be found online - maybe on the NALDIC site? New Arrivals Excellence Programme and also something called Ensuring the Attainment of More Advanced Bilingual Learners. Both worth reading.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now