If yoir DC attend your school...

(12 Posts)
Needmorewine Wed 24-Feb-16 21:02:45

How do you manage before and after school care? Do they use the school clubs or are they allowed to wait in your classroom at beginning / end of classroom.

Disclaimer : have just started teacher training and based on another thread am trying to make sure I have thought of all options for when my DD will start school (which will be my NQT year). Have just seen our catchment school is recruiting for NQTs at the moment so just wondered how feasible it would be.

Apologies in advance if this is a very stupid question but have only done a placement in one school so far and none of the staff children attended at all.

Primaryteach87 Wed 24-Feb-16 21:12:37

At a school I worked in teachers' children hung about in the classrooms. It was very difficult to be honest as if you needed to have confidential conversations they might overhear. Likewise I don't think it was that great for the children. I would advise getting after school care. As a backup it would probably be fine and on say a Friday when no meetings and people tend to leave earlier....but in general it's not ideal

Luciferbox Wed 24-Feb-16 21:15:53

In mine (secondary) they all tend to hang around in our IT room.

OhShutUpThomas Wed 24-Feb-16 21:23:01

I went to my mum's primary school and I used to hang around in her classroom. She taught early years so there were always cool toys and sand to play in, or I'd get a book from the library. I'd go to a childminder down the road on staff meeting day.

I enjoyed it. Schools are fun and full of cool stuff! Hope they still let teachers do it.

Anaffaquine123 Wed 24-Feb-16 21:27:11

I work 3 days. I have before and after care for two of the days. However, none available on the 3rd day. She is on the waiting list,for the only after school club in the area, but it is 3 YEARS long.
If a colleague needs to talk to me, I go to their room and leave my dd in my room with her snack and a book.
I haven't had any issues.

knitknack Wed 24-Feb-16 21:35:40

My kids have the run of the school! In fact they're involved in so many clubs etc it's usually ME waiting for THEM!

Needmorewine Wed 24-Feb-16 21:44:31

Thanks everyone. Yes I'm not too sure whether it would work or not..DD would only be reception age and I'm guessing as an NQT I'm going to need to concentrate on getting everything done rather than being in "mum" mode. Wouldn't want to irritate anyone at the school. Good to know it might potentially work as she gets older though...

MidniteScribbler Thu 25-Feb-16 02:06:10

DS is going to be at my school when he starts next year. I plan on having him in the classroom with me in the mornings until he can go out on the playground (many kids arrive from about 8:15am and I can see the prep playground from my office anyway). After school he will go to ASC on the nights we have our meetings, but the other days I tend to leave by 4pm anyway and work from home after he is in bed, so he can hang around the classroom or go out and play with the other teachers kids that are hanging around.

GinandJag Thu 25-Feb-16 18:43:56

When I had children in my school, they either did clubs and/or go to prep. I wouldn't have them in my lab or office. They had to be treated the same as any other student.

TheSnowFairy Fri 26-Feb-16 17:02:15

It's definitely easier at secondary. My 2 DS's are at my school and I hardly see them. Occasionally in the corridors or when I'm on duty in the café but DS1 would die rather than speak to me at school (although his mates try and embarrass him), and DS2 smiles and that's it.

They walk to and from school and attend after school clubs if interested.

It works really well for us.

SuffolkNWhat Fri 26-Feb-16 19:06:16

I teach at my DD's school. She goes to a CM 4 mornings a week and 2 after schools, she does a morning club the 5th day and an after school club one day, the other two afternoons I pick her up from her classroom and we leave not long after that (I take my marking home or work through lunch)

We've been doing it this way since September and it's working so far.

teacher54321 Sun 28-Feb-16 16:59:45

Ds is at my school (in the nursery) and he goes to wraparound care and has tea everyday as he finishes at 3.30 and I don't finish teaching till 4pm so am never out my classroom till 4.15 at the earliest. If we get into work before 8am (when nursery opens) then we go to my classroom and he watches CBeebies on the projector until I can drop him off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now