NQT year - commuting

(10 Posts)
SawdustInMyHair Wed 24-Feb-16 14:56:55

I'm looking for jobs for my NQT year and went to one of those speed-dating job things the other day. The agency put me in front of a school which was too far away... but I loved them! They've asked me in for an interview, but I'm dithering over whether I'd accept a job with them because of the distance. I'm not flexible about where I live, unfortunately.

The school's about 1h 10m away (assuming good conditions). Would that be mad to do as a teacher, and in the first year?

counttotenandbreathe Wed 24-Feb-16 15:01:26

In my opinion yes it is, NQT year is tough and factoring in a minimum 2 hour journey every day with your teaching, meetings, planning you will have no life at all. If the school is so good could you not move as these days good schools seem few and far between!?

willconcern Wed 24-Feb-16 15:03:15

Yes, that would be madness. NQT year is really hard work as it is. Why are you not flexible about where you live, if I may ask?

icklekid Wed 24-Feb-16 15:05:22

Yes my 25min commute there often takes 45mins back and I'm shattered when I get home. I really wouldn't do an hour each way.

SawdustInMyHair Wed 24-Feb-16 15:45:20

I'm not flexible because I own my flat, so it would be too much cost (and stress and estate agents and...) to move closer.

Thank you for your advice, I think I knew it was a mad idea, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't just being precious!

If I got a car it would be doable (commute down to 30 minutes) so I'm thinking about that!

icklekid Wed 24-Feb-16 16:08:39

If it's a school you love a 30 min commute is definitely manageable! Good luck

GinandJag Wed 24-Feb-16 16:51:39

I drive a very reliable 40 minutes each way, which is fine. I could not imagine doing this a few years ago when my commute was 12 minutes.

70 minutes plus would be too much for me. I think there would be a risk of falling asleep at the wheel!

The reasons for working there would really have to be compelling.

MrsGuyOfGisbo Wed 24-Feb-16 18:42:24

Get a car. 30m in a car is fine - listen to a radio, reflect on the day.

ProfGrammaticus Wed 24-Feb-16 18:44:10

Test the route at the times you would be doing it. Then get a car!

GinandJag Wed 24-Feb-16 19:13:50

Didn't see the bit about public transport. 30 minutes is perfectly doable. A car will also enable you to transport marking and resources.

My commute is under 40 minutes - leaving by 6am. I avoid nasty M25 traffic and get to school with 2 hours to spare, and have free reign over the photocopier. I leave by 3 and am home well before 4, having picked up my DDs en route.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now