Career break?

(4 Posts)
Euphemia Mon 22-Feb-16 09:43:09

Has anyone taken one? Would you?

I'm a primary teacher in Scotland and I'm thinking of applying for a year's career break.

DD is 13 and went to nursery when she was 8m old. DH is about to take on a more responsible post at work which will mean more hours and more stress.

I feel now would be a good time to spend more of my energy on my family than on other people's children. We can afford it, but I worry about my pension. I don't want to take a break now and make life worse in the future.

Any views?!

DitheringDiva Mon 22-Feb-16 12:45:50

I'd just do it, if that's what you want. It's good to make plans for the future eg. pensions etc., but you can live too much in the future. My DM never paid into any pension because she was always self-employed, and even though they never had any money when we were kids, they are comfortably well-off now (foreign holiday every year etc.) - and it's just because of my DFs very good pension. If you're worried, and you are not short of cash, then you could put money into a SIPPS (is that what they're called ?- a DIY pension), or even just into an ISA, if you think you might want access to it before you retire.

Iggi999 Mon 22-Feb-16 23:33:55

I know people who have done it, for childcare and also for travel. Also know someone who was turned down for it. It must be really hard to go back afterwards though! Especially if your other circumstances haven't changed, and you end up doing lots more because of your dh's new role.
Is part time an option instead?

Euphemia Tue 23-Feb-16 06:53:04

I'm already 0.8 but at a school 50 minutes from home. I'm applying to transfer closer to home, which would help. I applied last year and nothing was available, so it's not guaranteed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now