Basic skills teaching. Would you recommend? (Thread also copied in employment topic).

(1 Post)
dimots Tue 19-Jan-16 11:13:02

A lecturer on a short course I attended through the job centre mentioned that he thought I should look into teaching adults. I have a Psychology BSc from 20 years ago and a more recent MSc in a niche subject. I wouldn't feel confident teaching science, as I feel my qualifications are not general enough, but I am very numerate, with good passes in statistics on my degree courses and O levels in Maths and English.
I spoke to a local college and I am arranging to volunteer as a helper in some local classes, but would like to hear all opinions. I would need a PGCE to teach locally, so I would need further training.
I was made redundant from my former career and there are few opportunities locally without a massive commute. I am looking for a local career but don't want to teach in schools as I don't want to work with children.
There is demand locally for the subject, including at a prison nearby.
I hear people bemoaning teaching as terrible workload, low morale etc. Is FE teaching as bad? Despite having a science background my wages have never been high, as local wages are universally low, so a teaching salary would be an improvement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now