Getting placements with schools

(5 Posts)
GrannyHeadology Fri 01-Jan-16 23:05:34

I'm looking for a bit of advice, I'm currently studying for a degree, I'm doing part time and I'm currently on module 3 (another 3 left = 2 years). I'm 30 so don't want to get my career change wrong, I always assumed primary school was a better fit for me but don't have any experience of secondary school and my teacher friends are either primary or primary SEN. I understand once my degree has completed and I enrol on a graduate scheme I will need in-school practise beforehand, however I don't want to waste precious time in my final year umming and ahhing about primary or secondary.

Is it worth asking a local primary school for a weeks experience and also a local secondary school for a week, or would this be a massive faux pas? I know I will need to get myself crb checked (or whatever it's called now) I'm assuming one would cover both secondary and primary? I would have to use annual leave for this experience hence asking so early so I could do a week this year and then the other week the following year.

Thanks

Iggi999 Fri 01-Jan-16 23:15:59

Initially I would I would not ask for a week as it's just too long. You will, with the best of intentions, be in the way and take up time. Ask for a day of observation and if you fit in, try to extend it. I know you need more than a day but you need your foot in the door. Do none of your primary friends know a secondary teacher? A personal intro is always good. Are you working as well as studying? I know quite a few TAs who are doing it with a view to getting onto a teaching course. Can you volunteer with children in some other way, maybe a holiday club?

GrannyHeadology Sun 03-Jan-16 15:12:12

Thanks for your response Iggi, none of them know anyone in secondary... It's not helpful and I've told them so grin

Thanks for the tip of maybe asking for a day on its own until I make my mind up, certainly something I will take on board. I currently work full time and not in any form of school environment which means I can't access any in school time unless it's using my annual leave. Which again prohibits volunteering in school clubs or holiday clubs.

SweepTheHalls Sun 03-Jan-16 15:15:11

We get lots of requests and always try to accommodate them. We also have links to the local ITT and can point you in the right direction for applications. grin(Can you tell I'm secondary and do ITT recruitment?!)
Good luck.

FithColumnist Wed 06-Jan-16 18:49:52

The School Experience Programme might be one of the easiest way of arranging some experience in schools. In my case I had an initial one-day observation, which I then followed up with a full week later on in the year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now