Can someone quickly talk me through the difference between Entry Level and Functional Skills, please?

(6 Posts)
MrsWembley Tue 29-Sep-15 20:05:40

Ok, so new job, starts in two days and all I can find online is stuff that seems to suggest they are one and the same. I thought they were two different things, so before I look too stupid, could someone please put me in the picture, please?

DoreenLethal Tue 29-Sep-15 20:08:48

Entry level is the level. Functional skills is the subject - eg Maths and English.

They are pretty interchangeable as calling it Functional Skills kind of suggests that the learners are Entry level.

MrsWembley Tue 29-Sep-15 20:15:15

Ahh, now that makes more sense! Thank-yousmile

I've not taught it before but I've seen it in a unit where I did some volunteering. Never really had the chance to go through it properly with the teacher there and wasn't expecting to get work so quickly this term. Thought I would have a little longer to do some reading around the subject, so to speak.grin

PenelopePitstops Tue 29-Sep-15 21:15:27

Not always the same!

Entry level maths is a level 2 qualification wheras functional skills does go up to level 3 depending on which qualification you take. It's a minefield.

MrsWembley Tue 29-Sep-15 22:47:37

Oh bloody hell!

Does anyone know anything about English?

MrsWembley Tue 29-Sep-15 22:48:10

Thanks, Penelope, btwgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now