SEN child bully

(7 Posts)
ilikebaking Tue 22-Sep-15 19:24:55

I need some help. I have an SEN child in my class who is a bully.
He has significant needs and appears not to understand that he is bullying, but he is.
How can I help him understand his actions? He just says the other child did something to deserve it, and then dissolves into hysterics.
I can't find any resources to help SEN children understand if they are the bully, only if they are being bullied!

CherylBerylMeryl Tue 22-Sep-15 19:27:31

But to him the other child probably DID deserve it. That's what you need to work on with him. He needs to know to report and not to thump.

Lots of social stories and role play.

bialystockandbloom Tue 22-Sep-15 19:29:20

What kind SN does he have? And how old is he? Does he have a statement or other form of support, even an IEP? Your school really should have some resources to help with this, including some training at the very least! Take it up with your senco/inclusion manager (I'm assuming that's not you!)

bialystockandbloom Tue 22-Sep-15 19:33:19

Yes, and it's probably not really appropriate to apply the normal use of the word "bully" to him, his behaviour is confirmed from a completely different place. Eg a child with severe behavioural difficulties stemming from eg autism might be behaving in a challenging or aggressive way because of a myriad of reasons due to his autism such as unable to communicate, to integrate, sensory overload, unable to interact etc etc etc. you say he doesn't realise what he's doing is bullying - sounds like he is therefore in dire need of expert social communication support!

bialystockandbloom Tue 22-Sep-15 19:34:24

"Coming from" not "confirmed from"

WombatStewForTea Tue 22-Sep-15 19:56:25

Have a look at using kids/kidz skills.

MischiefInTheWind Wed 23-Sep-15 09:01:10

What help are you getting from the SENCO? What about asking your LEA inclusion team?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now