New job, bad decision, now what?

(10 Posts)
Lizziewarmington Sat 19-Sep-15 07:52:28

New job in lovely little village school is not what I expected - it's supposed to be a promotion but have less not more responsibility. Problem is the head who is change averse, have always worked for brilliant heads- dynamic and on the ball and now faced with imminent OFSTED and a school that needs so much doing but with a huge block. Staff are great but fed up too. If we get RI ....? Have made huge mistake but now what? Advice please.

Lowdoorinthewall Sat 19-Sep-15 07:56:30

Well, maybe RI would be the kick up the backside the Head needs?

Worst case scenario do the year and move on. I think most people would forgive a Teacher for having a short stint at a school that didn't suit them on their CV.

Best case scenario develop some amazing leadership skills by 'managing' the Head into thinking it's her/his idea to do a better job!

OrderofWork Sat 19-Sep-15 07:57:16

Ime, if you get ri, the head won't be there long and then you get to be part of the team that turns it around. Could it be a positive?

Lizziewarmington Sat 19-Sep-15 08:11:32

Thank you. That's what i want to do, just tricky not to seem too critical when I'm the junior.

Lowdoorinthewall Sat 19-Sep-15 08:23:14

You can't be critical- you would have to find some other way to effect change. Very tricky!

Lowdoorinthewall Sat 19-Sep-15 08:26:00

That said when I joined my school last year my section was in a bit of a mess (not the rest of the school- that was great) and I did give the Head a leetle bit of a pep talk. It was quite effective. She's not change averse though!

Lizziewarmington Sat 19-Sep-15 08:40:45

True but it would be awful for him to leave that way and that's the last thing I want, actually feel sorry for the head who has devoted his life to the school. But that's not helping the children.

BlueWashiTape Sat 19-Sep-15 08:51:31

How junior are you? Is there a depute too? It'll all depend on personalities and working out how to make him malleable. It's early days yet.

Foxyloxy1plus1 Sat 19-Sep-15 08:52:11

Therein lies your problem! The Head has been there for years- it's HIS school. No surprise he doesn't want change and no surprise he feels he's doing the best for the pupils.

RI might be the saviour of the school (and you.) Yes, it's hard on the Head, but this is the way of the world now.

longshorts Sun 28-Aug-16 19:16:01

I wish I'd seen this thread when it was started. I was in exactly the same position last year, new job, 'lovely' village school, turned out to be a bit of a nightmare. I would love to know where you are at now, op. I did a year in my new job, am going elsewhere in September but don't feel good about it at all. What became of you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now