TES resources - no longer free!!

(22 Posts)
HexBramble Tue 08-Sep-15 22:07:29

What the heck happened to sharing best practice? Had a bit of a break from TES for a wee while but just gone back on this evening to search for some language games and we have to pay?!

I've uploaded quite a few decent resources but it wouldn't ever occur to me to charge. Gutted!

Mendeleyev Tue 08-Sep-15 22:12:13

I haven't been on for a month or two, but last time I was on I noticed that some resources were being charged for shock. There was still a lot of free stuff though. Is that still the case?

HexBramble Tue 08-Sep-15 22:35:01

Mendeleyev, I stopped searching for free stuff when I saw ??10 resources in my search! I'm only after a few ideas for language games!

miaowroar Wed 09-Sep-15 07:44:30

I wonder if those people charging for their resources have to pay the money to their schools? Doesn't your employer own the copyright of whatever you produce whilst in their employment?

HexBramble Thu 10-Sep-15 06:51:09

Miaw - d'know - it hasn't occured to me to ask!
I would imagine my Head would roll his eyes and tell me to get a grip.
I may just ask someone today.

echt Thu 10-Sep-15 09:59:17

Yes, miaow, your employer owns the stuff you produce, unless you have a contract with, say, Pearson, where you design units of work for them, in which case it's theirs.

EvilTwins Thu 10-Sep-15 19:09:56

I have done some resources for a theatre company - they paid me for them, but people can download them from their website for free. When I discussed it with my HT he said the money was mine.

Olivo Thu 10-Sep-15 20:45:36

Really? Whatever I produce belongs to my school? Even if done in Non school hours on my own PC? Nearly twenty years in the business and I didn't know that!

LemonRedwood Sat 12-Sep-15 08:00:37

I suspect a lot of headteachers aren't too clear on the laws either. I've worked for a couple who, if they'd thought they could squeeze a few more pounds out, even if it was from their hard-working and exhausted staff, then they would. However, for the most part, they seem to be of the opinion that if you made it, it's yours (whether they're aware of the copyright law or not).

IguanaTail Sat 12-Sep-15 14:17:51

Yes it belongs to your employer. Not such an issue now as it's electronic so you can take it with you and leave a copy.

You could always produce it as a PDF with your name all over it...wink

TheTroubleWithAngels Sat 12-Sep-15 14:39:49

I remember being warned at an LA induction for NQTs that tutoring children out of hours and using any of their resources or resources produced during your employment was also a breach of your contract.

Never ever heard of anyone being pulled up on it though. Leaving a internet trail would be easier to find though.

MischiefInTheWind Sat 12-Sep-15 15:13:19

That's interesting, what about resources you produced at home, printed in school and laminatwed with acetates you'd bought yourself because school didn't have any?
Or is it just the intellectual copyright? What if it's only saved on your memory stick?

IguanaTail Sat 12-Sep-15 19:05:22

Anything produced while you are in their employment belongs to the school. But if you took your own acetates you would take those but leave the school paper copies.

IguanaTail Sat 12-Sep-15 19:05:57

If you have saved it on your memory stick that's fine but you have to upload a copy on the school system too.

Salmotrutta Sat 12-Sep-15 19:49:46

If I produce a resource on my own computer, at home and out of school hours I consider it to be my property.

I'd like to see the school try to claim it as their own property if it's done in my time at my home on my computer.

IguanaTail Sat 12-Sep-15 20:05:13

If you're employed by a school and produce something while they are paying your salary, it's theirs.

IguanaTail Sat 12-Sep-15 20:10:35

*If you work in school who owns the copyright for the original work you do?

Teachers have always worked outside of contracted hours preparing resources and using their own research, equipment and materials to do so. In the digital age with the speed and availability of digital production and publishing it may be useful for teachers to consider what is work and what isn??t and have a clear mental line drawn between the two to guide them in issues of copyright ownership. It is certainly better to do this at the beginning of a project rather than towards the end when a prized piece of work might suddenly become an ??issue?? bteween the teacher and the school over who 'owns' the copyright and therefore has the right to 'exploit' it.For teachers and many other adults working in schools copyright arising from the work they do is usually owned by their employer. The definition of what is work for school is defined by the terms of the conditions of employment rather than by criteria such whether it was created in-school or at home; whether it was done in school time or in evenings or holidays. The UK IP Office describes the situation: ??Where a written, theatrical, musical or artistic work, or a film, is made by an employee in the course of his employment, his employer is the first owner of any copyright in the work (subject to any agreement to the contrary).??*

EvilTwins Sat 12-Sep-15 20:21:09

This is very interesting. I wonder if any head teacher ever has ever done anything about it. I have sold resources in the past - made a lot of money out of it at one point. I guess I owe my school then.

EvilTwins Sat 12-Sep-15 20:21:59

Does that also mean my school owns the copyright to the staff pantos I've written? They're certainly welcome to that!

IguanaTail Sat 12-Sep-15 20:36:04

I don't think they would bother. But some staff believe that if they created it then they can delete it from their school's vle when they leave, and that is not the case.

EvilTwins Sat 12-Sep-15 20:46:38

Oh I see. Not sure why anyone would be so precious- though obviously they are. I get a buzz out of knowing that the school I left in 2004 still uses my resources!

miaowroar Fri 18-Sep-15 14:26:47

I left a very obvious folder on the school's shared drive when I left entitled Miaowroar's resources where I genuinely tried to leave a copy of everything, but really the school has no idea of how much stuff I have created and neither have I.

Hard copies which I had laminated at my own expense and cut up into sets etc, I took with me - as long as I had left an electronic copy I thought this was OK.

I also recorded LOADS of cassettes onto MP3 files with my own equipment, but I left these too (obviously, again kept copies).

I have shared them quite freely with anyone who was interested, but have always assumed I wouldn't be able to make money out of them (not that they would make much anyway).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now