School Summer clean

(15 Posts)
Lovewearingjeans Wed 02-Sep-15 19:26:06

Just out of curiosity, does your school have a big clean in the Summer holidays, so you come back to hoovered classrooms, dust free staff room, bleached toilets?

Littlefish Wed 02-Sep-15 19:38:45

Yes, we have a full deep clean, but the cleaners do it in the first week of the holidays which means that when teachers come in after that and clear out cupboards etc. the classrooms end up all dusty again.

XCChamps Wed 02-Sep-15 19:42:37

Yes, I went in today and they were cleaning behind cupboards. I was most surprised impressed

spanieleyes Wed 02-Sep-15 20:43:03

Yes, all the furniture moved, everything cleaned, windows washed inside and out, even the light covers are taken down and washed! We have just one cleaner who does the lot!

leccybill Wed 02-Sep-15 20:47:46

Yes. Our cleaners call it 'the detail' and apparently it's their favourite week of the year!

PurpleAlerts Thu 03-Sep-15 01:08:00

Yes- we have to remove all our displays as they wash the walls! One new teacher didn't believe it and rebelliously left all hers up, only to arrive yesterday to find all her displays faded and soggy!

BlowOnMySackbutt Thu 03-Sep-15 07:28:58

You're all very luckysmile. In my last place, the only cleaning comprised a quick flick around with a damp j cloth and a vacuum of any clear floor space. The only time I can remember furniture being moved was when there was a hornet's nest in the loft space and dead/nearly dead ones dropped through a hole in one of the ceilings. Given that I am a) terrified of them and b) they are the devil in insect form, I insisted that every inch was vacuumed to get rid of them. Twice.

Lovewearingjeans Thu 03-Sep-15 07:35:09

All very informative, but we are the same as you Blow. At least the hall floor should be given a deep clean, surely.

BlowOnMySackbutt Thu 03-Sep-15 08:04:59

I wasn't in a setting that had a traditional hall but I suspect they're quite germy.
What really made me gag was the state of the door handles/door jambs and surrounding areas. They used to get filthy and I'm sure we all got bugs from them. I ended up cleaning them myself with antibac twice a week.

Euphemia Thu 03-Sep-15 18:36:37

Yes - sometimes the first week of the holidays, sometimes the last. We have to clear surfaces and push furniture to the edges of the room. They do a brilliant job.

I was amazed by all these teachers putting pix on FB of their classrooms all set up for the new school year the day after term ended. confused If I did that I'd come back to everything piled up in the middle of the room, and very pissed off cleaners!

g4rg5 Sat 05-Sep-15 22:42:28

I once worked in a school that claimed to have a deep clean every summer. One year we went back in September and decided to move a cupboard. Behind it we found a milk carton that was 8 YEARS past its BB date!

Not such a deep clean after all! wink

Euphemia Sun 06-Sep-15 04:09:35

Oooh tell me the carton was intact and that you opened it! grin

MiaowTheCat Sun 06-Sep-15 12:48:48

Worst we found that had survived a summer "deep clean" was a bucketful of vomit that one of the midday supervisors had left in the first aid room in about mid June... was found in September and was nearly joined by an accompanying pile of puke from the lucky finder.

Our cleaners at my last school were allergic to cleaning. They'd all congregate in my teaching area after school, spend 45 minutes discussing Ethel's new net curtains and Doris's piles and then wave a hoover around for 5 minutes and go home - the tops of cupboards must have been a good inch thick in dust - it was vile (and I had the cleanest classroom as I made sure to be generous with the biscuits)!

MiaowTheCat Sun 06-Sep-15 12:50:56

We also, along with the non-cleaning cleaners had a school cook at that place that viewed cooking not as an art, but as a battle of wills to get all the molecular structure of the food beaten into oblivion. After once setting the fire alarms off cooking the chips for lunch... at 8.50am... she went on the sick for a good length of time - and the uptake of school dinners went through the roof as we got a temp in who actually made food edible!

(This was also the school where the TA interrupted my lesson to show me photos of her, apparently very happy according to her vet, tortoise)

CharleyDavidson Sun 06-Sep-15 21:35:59

Our school is normally given a good clean in the first and last weeks of the hols. This year, the builders have been in and making a lot of mess. That and the fact that the cleaner retired recently makes for a messy environment.

My classroom escaped most of the impact because it's quite out of the way. But as the cleaner retired on the last day and bins are routinely emptied in the mornings, the bin sat there for 6 weeks. There was fruit in there, so I had a nice infestation of fruit flies waiting for me when I went in last week. I'm normally in during the hols, but with the builders being in, noone was allowed on premises.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now