Any Literacy Coordinators to help?

(5 Posts)
Anewleaf Wed 08-Jul-15 03:46:42

I can't sleep. All I can think about is this Literacy Coordinator role I've applied for at my new job (due to start in Sept). Can you tell me a little about your role and how you implement ideas in your school? I'm so excited, I haven't got the job yet! Been also reading a lot of Pie Corbett too.

Any experiences you'd like to share please do! It's a secondary role but also interested in Primary too x

Anewleaf Thu 09-Jul-15 17:56:54

Bump

PicInAttic Thu 09-Jul-15 20:25:14

Lit Co-Ord in Junior school.
Do a lot of data analysis at key points in year - plan targeted interventions based on data then review and repeat - support staff delivering interventions - lesson observations and booklooks regularly then work with individual staff to develop practice or to look at ways to share their practice with others - plan and lead inset - some work for LA - report to Govs, Ofsted and LA -fight for budget and spend it - hold info sessions for parents - tidy library and book corners - liaise with colleagues to make sure 'all staff are teachers of literacy/English' ...
Implementing ideas at my school isn't too difficult as staff are supportive and keen to give things a go but I always try anything out in my own class first, make sure I prepare/ buy resources as much as possible myself so new initiatives don't mean extra work for others and I don't jump on bandwagon or let us be pushed onto them!
I rea lly enjoy it but does sometimes feel like two subjects in one as nearly everything has to be done separately for reading and writing. Think a lot of the above would be similar in secondary but not totally sure.
Good luck though smile

Anewleaf Sat 11-Jul-15 07:07:02

Thanks so much Pic really insightful! ☺

HettyD Sun 12-Jul-15 08:43:40

Ours does a lot on improving reading ages at KS3, uses toe-by-toe, reading recovery, the sixth form are reading buddies for yr8, we have whole school literacy tutor session once a week, all depts have submitted folder of evidence of literacy to her. Every classroom has key words and every sept has a 'ideas of books to read' board. She also introduced the idea of green pens, and really pushes literacy across curriculum with emphasis on SPaG. Hope this gives some ideas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now