Shiny new year 7 form class

(10 Posts)
Whichseason Sat 20-Jun-15 21:41:50

Next year I will have a year 7 form class. My current year 11s I inherited a few years ago. Does anybody have any suggestions for things to do on a weekly basis to help them bond and form positive memories as a class. I was thinking along the lines of a class achievements board.

CasualJersey Sat 20-Jun-15 22:21:54

Will you get any team building time?
Do you have a designated lesson with them?
I'd be inclined to book out the gym/ hall/ drama room and do some fun team building exercises with them.
Just litanies fun and games, see what PE have got that you can borrow, like spider webs etc we do this with out intake and it's great for getting them working together.

TheReluctantCountess Sat 20-Jun-15 22:25:12

Top Trumps! I have 15 packs, and once a week we have a Top Trump form time, where they play with a different person each time.

Golfhotelromeofoxtrot Sat 20-Jun-15 22:36:18

Love that idea, reluctant!

Set half termly challenges- mine have done things like: learnt the alphabet in sign language, redesigned their learning space at home, there are more but my mind has gone blank!

Get them each to make a passport in the first session, where they 'map' the 'journey' they want to make this year. It might include things like learning a new language, a new sport, making new friends etc, as well as their hopes for the future etc.

Google simple dice games - they can be played quickly and you just need some dice, so they are v cheap too!

Learn to count together in several languages, sing a song in another language together, make a map of the world with books that they have enjoyed set in different countries as well as countries they have visited/want to visit/foods they like from different places etc.

Whichseason Sun 21-Jun-15 10:14:25

These are all excellent ideas. Thanks.

I will have a couple of lessons with them in a couple of weeks but due timetabling changes I won't get them as a class.

thornrose Sun 21-Jun-15 10:18:29

If you have any children with SEN ensure they are well integrated from the start. I know you know this and I'm not being patronising. I speak as a parent from bitter experience.

Howaboutthisone Sun 21-Jun-15 18:17:03

Get them to write a letter to their future self to be sealed and hidden then opened when they are about to leave in year 11.

Look at the website formtimeideas.com too for things to get them doing together every day.

TheReluctantCountess Sun 21-Jun-15 19:48:16

I have a mixed form, so they are all split up for different lessons. I like to make sure that they mix with students from different teaching groups in form time.

I like the idea of learning to count to ten in other languages.

HettyD Wed 24-Jun-15 18:02:04

Regular circle time helps 'bond' and I introduced a class teddy (piglet) who was used a lot to comfort and console in first weeks! Also a sense of unity against other tutor groups help!!'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now