Do you feel guilty when you have time off sick?

(9 Posts)
KeepPloddingOn Sun 14-Jun-15 10:22:03

Because I am ill again.

My sickness record has never been so bad.

It's all been 2 days here, a week there - and only since Christmas. It's been vomitting bugs, xhest infections- things I really can't teach through. If I have a fever I pop a couple of paracetamol and go in....but when you are throwing up....or get breathless after a 10min conversation theres just no chance.

but I just feel so guilty.

MrsUltracrepidarian Sun 14-Jun-15 11:54:47

I am a supply teacher, so grateful you are keeping me in work.
Have you seen a doctor about this? If you have some impairment of your immune system should be investigated?

CtrlAltDelicious Sun 14-Jun-15 11:57:53

Yes I do. It's stupid but I can't help it. I feel like people won't believe I'm really ill. I do anything to avoid being off actually as I can't bear the thought of someone rummaging through my planning file trying to work it out.

Minispringroll Sun 14-Jun-15 13:30:29

I do feel a little guilty. But then, I don't get ill often during term time. (I've had 3 sick days in the last 10 years.) I get ill in the holidays, though. confused
No issue with people not believing me that I'm ill. When I get ill, it hits me properly. There's no room for doubt. grin

WhenMarnieWasThere Sun 14-Jun-15 13:33:32

Yes and no.

When my class is covered and I'm signed off sick for something then I don't.

If it's the first 3 days of longer term sickness (like my operation this month) or an odd day here or there for being generally unwell then I do feel guilty as there's no money for supply teachers in our budget and the sickness cover insurance that all schools have with the county doesn't kick in til the 4th day. The already stretched TAs have to cover.

KeepPloddingOn Sun 14-Jun-15 14:09:13

Ctrl
thats exactly how I feel - they won't believe that I'm really ill.

but I know I am ill. I am tucked up in bed with a fever amonst other things - but I think its viral so no point in seeing dr to 'prove' it.

I am actually frustrated that I'm ill again because its going to make it exceedingly tough to finish teaching the required content before the end of term.

Because I'm frustrated being ill actually has a knock on effect cos then I get stressed about it.....which isn't good either.

KeepPloddingOn Sun 14-Jun-15 14:13:52

And the kids acheive nothing from the cover work...so do I re-teach it (putting me behind schedule) or do I move on and cover it in more detail during revision.....

and then there's the not knowing if the kids were actually given the cover work you set or something random....so making picking it back up even harder....

FabulousFudge Sun 14-Jun-15 16:05:40

Yes I would so I drag myself in regardless. I only seem to get really sick in holidays too.

crumpetsryummy Sun 14-Jun-15 21:27:39

I had the misfortune to be in the back of an ambulance blue lights flashing when my husband had a phone call from work asking if I was going to be in the next day as I had not let them know by 2pm and they needed to let the supply know. Silly me I forgot to phone them. He said it was unlikely as I was on the way to hospital.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now