Ks2 English topics.

(10 Posts)
morethanpotatoprints Wed 10-Jun-15 22:33:53

Hello, was wondering if anybody could point me in the direction of a list of topics for ks2 English.
I can't find a simple list to tick off anywhere.
It's not the nc with all the different years as I can't follow all of this and haven't the time to look through it all.
I have tried googling, looked at lots of links inc tes,guardian etc, lots of great resources but no topic list.

AsBrightAsAJewel Thu 11-Jun-15 15:05:42

Sorry - It doesn't exist! There are objectives for each year group in the new NC, but topics are not mentioned. Even in the old literacy framework which stated genres year-by-year was not compulsory and many schools didn't follow it.

morethanpotatoprints Thu 11-Jun-15 15:23:15

Thank you.

it's a minefield with English. I have managed a tick list for every other subject but was panicking that dd hadn't covered everything.
I have found some, such as Poetry, Grammar, etc but others seem so spread out with no particular heading.
In the end I went through tes resources and think that most would be covered here. thanks

AsBrightAsAJewel Thu 11-Jun-15 15:48:34

Some subject are more knowledge based but English is more skills based. Is there a specific reason you need it, and then maybe I can point you towards something useful?

If you want a tick list of what a child can do you do really need to be looking at the English National Curriculum, as that is really what the content is, and it is up to the teachers how they deliver that skills content.

AsBrightAsAJewel Thu 11-Jun-15 15:53:13

This is a useful website.

morethanpotatoprints Thu 11-Jun-15 16:01:30

AsBright

I have until sept to make sure dd has covered the whole of KS2.
She has been H.ed and I need to cover from y4 - y6 and check y3.
I'm pretty sure she has done the majority of the work but we haven't followed the nc.
In a way I know I'm panicking but to reassure myself I thought a list would be good.
Maths was simple as I looked at the topics and sub topics and worked from there. Even the workbooks she used followed a good structure for maths, but not English.
We are last minute as she didn't intend to start Secondary school but the chance of a lifetime came up at the perfect school for her, so we are in somewhat of a rush now.

AsBrightAsAJewel Thu 11-Jun-15 16:15:15

Current Year 6 pupils will still have been work on old NC English Curriculum HERE. So I do think it is the only checklist you will find useful is looking at each objective and seeing if your DC has covered it.

There are also the dreaded Year 6 SATs papers if you feel so inclined.

This makes an interesting read - KS2 SATs test examples for 2016 under the new curriculum. The thrust of the new tests are "secondary readiness" but they are based on the new curriculum that the current Y6s will not have been taught.

morethanpotatoprints Thu 11-Jun-15 16:40:34

Thank you so much AsBright

I have looked at the link you provided and it is just what I needed.
part of my problem was having resources but not knowing the part of the nc they related to. so until I saw the list it was a bit hit and miss.
I have already identified a few areas where we haven't covered enough so will find the relative resource now.
I have done this type of thing before as taught A level / Btec and have a PgCE but obviously completely different with one child and a curriculum.

Thank you very much thanks

AsBrightAsAJewel Thu 11-Jun-15 16:45:48

You are welcome. I hope the transition to the new school goes smoothly.

OnionsAndApples Thu 11-Jun-15 18:05:10

Thank you for the links, and thank you to more than as well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now