Soon-to-be trainee teacher requesting (urgent) advice!

(13 Posts)
OhMySaintedTrousers Wed 03-Jun-15 15:17:34

I'll be starting my teacher training in just a few weeks, and will be spending the entire 2 years working full-time in one school. I have recently found out which school I will be training in, and have a 5-hour-long visit scheduled for this Friday (along with a few other trainees). It's a secondary academy, but not part of a big chain. I'll be teaching English.

I have a few questions which I'd really appreciate your help with, please!

1) What should I wear? (I know the "can't see up it, down it, or through it" rule, but I'm not sure how formally I should aim to dress.) I'm female, petite, and in my mid-20s.

2) What should I ask about the school in general?

3) What should I ask about my department in particular?

4) Are there any important things I should make sure that I do or avoid doing (besides the obvious)?

Thank you in advance for your time and help smile.

OhMySaintedTrousers Wed 03-Jun-15 15:18:52

Just to add - unfortunately the school is too far away for me to go and scope things out beforehand.

CharlesRyder Wed 03-Jun-15 16:58:24

Take your own chair mug and tea for the staff room. Both may be provided but don't assume.

Wear smart trousers and top I would say- office wear.

Don't know about the specifics as I am Primary, but be interested and positive without gushing.

Do not mention Michael Gove.

hesterton Wed 03-Jun-15 17:07:34

Ask what texts they would suggest you read or reread in preparation for the year ahead.

Ask about IT in the classroom and whether staff are provided with a laptop or if all classrooms have desktops.

Ask what they see as the specific major barriers to student achievement in that school.

Ask if they set in English from day one or if there is any mixed ability teaching.

Ask what proportion of students are bilingual and how many are still at an early stage of English language acquisition.

Ask about SEN provision in the school.

Ask if you will have a tutor group from the beginning or later on. Ask if they have vertical tutoring or year group tutoring.

Ask what partnerships with parents and carers are like at the school.

Hope this has given you some ideas!

hesterton Wed 03-Jun-15 17:18:19

You could ask:

What setting takes place in KS3/KS4
What texts you could be reading in preparation
How many off the students are bilingual and how many of those are still at an early stage of English acquisition
What the school sees as the main barriers to student achievement
How many students in the school habe SEN and what the provision is like
Whether the school has year group tutoring ot vertical tutoring and whether you will have a tutor group.
What their partnership with parents and carers is like.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

OhMySaintedTrousers Wed 03-Jun-15 20:26:14

Thank you so much - your suggestions are all really helpful! I'm so nervous my brain starts to grind to a halt whenever I think about the visit, so it really helps to have specific things to focus on smile.

superram Wed 03-Jun-15 20:37:15

Assuming you are schools direct. Our school Would expect suit on first day, smart there on in.

Take lunch as they won't have sorted your lunch card (if a lot of you they might provide sandwiches).

Will you have a classroom? Tt for next year? Log on. When school is open over the summer so you can go in to prepare.
Where are sow? Can you access ict remotely-especially as you seem to be far away.

Golfhotelromeofoxtrot Wed 03-Jun-15 21:06:31

I agree with the above- wear a suit.

Find out exam boards and key texts to read over the summer.

Bring a pen drive and save all their shared area docs onto it. Even if they have remote access, it's good to have.

Either buy a memory stick with a huge memory or buy a portable Hard drive.

Join Twitter and follow all the brilliant teachers on there.

Buy the 100 ofsted outstanding ideas book for secondary school teachers. I really loved it.

Buy the Letts English teacher subject audit book, I found it much more thorough than the one my training programme provided.

Find A/B/C grade example work and read it. This is invaluable when you first start teaching GCSE.

Buy a watch!

Good luck- you'll love it. Best job in the world.

hesterton Wed 03-Jun-15 21:08:48

Sorry I posted twice! Thought I lost the first one!

JacobWrestling Wed 03-Jun-15 21:16:51

Teach First, I presume?

Dress: more formal to begin. You can always pull back at bit but a formal first impression is important. Female equivalent of a suit - skirt or trousers, smart blouse or shirt, jacket (even if you take it off after 20 mins. No jersey (too casual). Comfy shoes, no open toes. If you need / want heels, make sure they're seriously broken in.

Get into the English dept cupboard and borrow all of the texts that you'll teach next year.

Take a large capacity memory stick or external hard drive. Copy the whole departmental shared drive onto it (with HOF's permission, obviously). Make sure that you have schemes of work and delivery grids.

Identify the current TF and ambassadors and swap contact details.

Feel free to PM me if you want to know anything else. I'm an '05.

JacobWrestling Wed 03-Jun-15 21:53:43

Oh, and if you're on any kind of social media, crank your privacy settings sky-high now!

OhMySaintedTrousers Wed 03-Jun-15 22:15:32

Thank you all so much - I'm noting everything down! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me - I really want to get this right from the start.

JacobWrestling - you guessed right. Less than three weeks left until SI, and I'm nervous but very excited to get started! Thank you very much for your kind offer - I'll be in touch very soon smile.

peacoat Sun 07-Jun-15 14:04:22

Also ask what the marking policy is. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now