Job application advice

(11 Posts)
MrsKCastle Thu 14-May-15 19:02:28

I know it has been done a lot, but could really use some advice/support. I'm applying for new primary jobs after a very stressful year, which has really knocked my confidence- I ended up off work for 3 months after failing an observation. Since returning, I have only been observed once, by an external inspector. The lesson went brilliantly- she said it was a privilege to be in my classroom- but due to the nature of the observation I don't have any written feedback. So on paper, I am a failing teacher.

So, how can I write a personal statement which actually shows what I'm capable of? Can I refer to verbal feedback? Will I be asked in interviews (if I can get them!) about my ratings/previous obs? Will that kind of info be disclosed in my references? There's so many things I'm not sure about!

justtheonethen Fri 15-May-15 19:33:21

I would definitely include the most recent feedback by the external person when referring to the standards. Do try and think of lots of examples for each though. I have been observed by an ex education secretary and I always mention it. grin

In my experience I have never been asked about lesson observation judgements in an interview.

I have also had (and seen) many references and they have never mentioned my lesson judgements.

It sounds like you've had a stressful time. If it helps I taught in an awful school and nothing I did was right despite previous schools grading me outstanding. I had no problems getting another job.

Without meaning to sound harsh, if you have had that shit a year then they will be happy for you to get a new job and it won't be in their interests to give you a bad reference.

If you want me to read over your personal statement pm me and I'll send my email. I'm good at those wink

Good luck

peacoat Fri 15-May-15 19:40:03

I agree. I've never been asked about any lesson obs in an interview.

Stressful times happen to everyone. I was off sick with work related stress for a half term last year but now am being asked to apply for SLT. Different school obviously!

This doesn't have to hold you back. Write an application that answers the points on the spec on the application, give examples that show impact of what you've done. The rest will be forgotten.

peacoat Fri 15-May-15 19:42:17

PS I had references from my two previous schools (as I'd only been in my then-current one for a year). They were completely different - one all outstanding and the other <cough> shit variable.

My new head rang the school with the good references to check and then took me on.

MrsKCastle Fri 15-May-15 20:28:25

Thanks all, really appreciate the responses, that's reassuring. A related question- in terms of references, I can either ask the DH (who is lovely and will give me a good reference) or the Head of School (who may be more ermm honest... Although would probably be ok). I'm veering towards HoS as I've heard it could look bad if I put the DH- what do you think?

justtheonethen Fri 15-May-15 22:47:37

I've put DH before when my relationship was better with them. They won't question it, the head could have delegated the task.

As pp said, this doesn't have to hold you back. I had a shit time that robbed me of my confidence but I'm now on SLT and v happy!

Let us know if you want examples for any of the standards.

peacoat Sat 16-May-15 07:36:02

I put the DH for my previous school as the Head had left. Plus she was my line manager.

MrsKCastle Sat 16-May-15 12:49:42

Thanks again, I will put DH then.

As for the person spec, any ideas how I may have 'promoted the school's aims positively and used effective strategies to monitor motivation and morale'? I assume they're talking about the children's motivation and morale? Bearing in mind that this is an advert for a PT class teacher, this part reads to me more like an SMT spec!

justtheonethen Sat 16-May-15 21:54:02

I think they want you to say something about how you would promote the schools values in your everyday teaching. For example one of ours is "celebrate the achievement of others" so I would say how we actively do this in class to boost confidence/motivation.
Perhaps something about teaching children to work in a team and to have positive relationships.
Also could be an opportunity to say how you encourage a safe classroom environment, it's ok to be wrong etc

MrsKCastle Sun 17-May-15 20:12:57

Thanks justtheone, your support is much appreciated. I can easily talk about those things, my classroom environment has been lovely and supportive this year. I will let you know how I get on!

justtheonethen Mon 18-May-15 19:23:31

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now