Trip Recounts - full weeks English lesson plans - help Y3/4

(9 Posts)
Awks Sat 09-May-15 15:15:20

Hi all, please help my daughter - she's on her final placement and her teacher has given her the topics of basing this week's independent write around a trip they're taking to Yorvik centre in York.

She is in a lather about doing this - she knows what the end should be but doesn't know what to do in the 3 lessons beforehand to get there iyswim.

She's asked her friend who's a teacher but everything she says they will absolutely race through in one lesson.

She's just getting herself in a state trying to do this so please help a nearly NQT smile

Thank you so much x

Machakos Sat 09-May-15 15:54:37

Could she put in a grammar lesson? Things like adverbs, adverbial phrases, fronted adverbials, or compound and complex sentences for example. These could then be part of the independent writing targets.

Buttercup27 Sat 09-May-15 15:57:58

I would do something like this
Lesson 1 ordering events - use photos to recap and order significant events.
Lesson 2 model writing including grammar.
Lesson 3 compete and review/ improve.

WombatStewForTea Sat 09-May-15 16:01:15

I'm very surprised that the class teacher hasn't already been through it with her and given her learning objectives? Is it three lessons or four? They obviously need to plan it and I'd spend at least two days writing with my Y4s not just one day. She needs to be modelling writing of a recount in terms of language features etc. I also always to oral rehearsing of writing before they start.

calico3 Sat 09-May-15 17:07:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

profpoopsnagle Sat 09-May-15 20:49:17

I recently did a similar idea, using trip advisor as the basis for the review. I used 2 reviews, one favourable and 1 not.

I checked through reviews first for suitability (please please check language) and did cut some parts out but tried to keep the format and review the same as possible. I did these all in a word version to save using the online web page but up on the IWB.

We looked at the layout- what would people want/need to know about visiting somewhere? (map, opening times, prices etc). We discussed the ratings feature, and the need for facts and opinions- if she uses some reviews, try to choose write ups where she can point these out or children spot them. I tried to impress on the children that an opinion needed to be backed up by a fact. E.g. It took ages to get into XXXX because their was only 1 cashier on duty. The ones I chose had some interesting word play too.

The children then wrote their own trip advisor review using an enlarged writing frame (A3 worksheet). I used the trip advisor details as the basis of these.

If you PM me, I am happy to send you the files I used.

This was my 'big write' which took about 2 lessons. I would use another to introduce the layout, and as more 'stand alone' activities leading up to the writing I would possibly think about-
*past tense grammar work (e.g. We went, we dug, we saw and also the present perfect form of verbs - we had been waiting)
*subject verb agreement
*facts and opinions- telling the difference between the two (harder than it sounds as children often get this mixed up).

profpoopsnagle Sat 09-May-15 20:51:22

FFS! *there

Sorry. I have had wine. blush

calico3 Sat 09-May-15 20:53:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Awks Sat 09-May-15 21:45:00

Thank you all so much, this is so helpful. It's tricky when you cannot help your adult child with something and they're weeping with frustration. I'm proud of her for what she's achieved so far and this is the first time I've seen her in a real lather but I guess it's because she's teaching, studying, planning, applying for jobs and trying to be a normal 22 year old grin

Anyway she says she's on the right lines as what you've all said is what she's done so far so is feeling a bit happier now. I've pm'd 2 kind folks too so tyvm.

Thank you all for helping - she does appreciate it (as do I) flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now