Teacher to TA, in the same school?

(10 Posts)
Zippidydoodah Fri 01-May-15 09:22:35

What do you think? Terrible idea or fantastic one?

I want to step down and become a TA. There is a vacancy at my school but I'm not sure if I should ask my head to consider me.

newbieman1978 Fri 01-May-15 14:03:05

The fact that you are posting on here suggests you have some reservations?
You know your school and the staff in it, do you think the transition would be smooth?
The potential for problems is there, you are going from being a supervisor to being on the same level as the TA's, do you think they will accept you and not be suspicious you'll be still running off to SMT with all their secrets??
You'll also go from being an equal to the teachers to being answerable to them, can you handle that and can they??

You'll probably find it harder to make the change in your current school but moving elsewhere is not without its challenges, moving down the ladder generally has challenges but not ones that can't be over come.

I've know teachers move to TA roles and back once they realise they are still treated like teachers and expected to do over and above other TA's but without the pay. That is a real danger regardless of whether you stay where you are or move.

Happy36 Fri 01-May-15 17:23:19

Agree with newbieman1978 - your school is likely to expect you to do teacher's work. But if you think you can resist that and you don't want to leave, go for it.

Zippidydoodah Fri 01-May-15 20:25:32

Thanks for the responses! I don't know what I want at the moment, that's the problem. Signed off with stress and know I can't teach for much longer. Maybe I should make a clean break but then I'm terrified about looking for a new school- confidence at rock bottom.

JemimaPuddled Fri 01-May-15 20:30:56

Sorry to say it's clean break time. Yes go for TAing (did it myself for a while, family reasons and couldn't take on the workload of a teaching post) but anywhere you work you will be outed as qts and your competences exploited. Wherever you are, put your pen down dot on the end of your contracted hours or you'll be back in the teacher trap for half the pay wink very wise to sit back and explore the options, hope you feel better soon flowers
(thought of tutoring? wink)

Zippidydoodah Sat 02-May-15 10:36:17

Thank you Jemima flowers

JemimaPuddled Sat 02-May-15 20:56:55

Been having a think about your situation (been there done that, t shirt, mug, etc) If I had to advise my former self I'd say look for a learning mentor post, or look at all your skills and interests. A teaching qual is worth a lot in many other areas - all much less stressful than ft teaching. I've done lecturing, tutoring and advisory work, all at £££ per hour and far less stress owing to far fewer hours. Figure out what income you need per week or month and see what's happening in your area?

SomewhereIBelong Sat 02-May-15 21:00:41

A friend of mine is a teacher AND a TA in the same school - long term supply Mon/Tue in one class and part time TA wed/thu/Fri in another. She is very good at separating the roles, would drive me completely loopy..

IrianofWay Sat 02-May-15 21:03:32

H did this. Well to be honest he wasn't given a choice as the school was in dire straits and the new head was desperate to makes changes so he offered the choice to do so or be subjected to the capability process. He knew he would likely fail as he was massively stressed and unhappy. He was demoted to HLTA and lost quite a bit of money but he loved the school and the kids and didn't want to leave. It took a few years to get the head to realise he was NOT going to be taking the responsibilities of a teacher on lower pay and now he is really enjoying the role. He also struggled more than he realised he would with the blow to his self-esteem. But, again, that passed. The only issue now is the money I guess.

BackforGood Sat 02-May-15 21:23:35

Like most I think you would have to be very, very, very strong to ensure that you weren't still being used as a teacher for half the money.
I think you would even if in a different school but in your own everyone would just perceive you as a teacher.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now