Is it possible to make a viable leaving tutoring?

(9 Posts)
negrilbaby Thu 05-Mar-15 22:31:28

A plea to any home tutors.
Is it possible? Can you get enough/any work during the working day or is it all evenings and week-ends?
I'd be looking at tutoring Maths and can cover up to A-level.

negrilbaby Thu 05-Mar-15 22:32:36

I meant living not leaving!!!

EmEyeFaive Thu 05-Mar-15 22:39:30

Might be worth a look into the HE market.

This person does Eng Lit/Lang
www.catherinemooneytutoring.co.uk

This one does science
www.sammartell.co.uk

Haven't seen anything similar for maths (or most other subjects)

See a lot of "meh" about some of the distance A level courses from HE email group.

I think if your target group at are mainly at school during the day, then late afternoon and early evening will be your busy time (certainly is for me, but I live in Europe and the kids get two afternoons off per week in primary, and finish after lunch at secondary, which helps). However there may be a hole in the market for daytime (via Skype) tutoring both in Britian and for British emigrants abroad if you venture outside the mainstream ed market.

Might not be much to start, but longer term it could turn into a big enough slice of your tutoring pie that it allow you to limit how much evenings and weekends get eaten into.

EmEyeFaive Thu 05-Mar-15 22:42:11

When I say "meh" about distance courses A levels, I mean "normal" distance courses like NEC etc.

Mind you... would that be another possible option ? Tutoring and marking for well established distance IGCSE and A level providers ?

twentyten Thu 05-Mar-15 22:42:13

Friend uses first tutors. Could you support home ed people?

Nicky898 Tue 02-Jun-15 15:29:32

We used a 'tutor' 7 - 8 years back my dd is now in first A level year at a public school. That person is lovely and very able. She was the first in her family to go to grammar school and became a qualified teacher. I don't know the detail but her marriage failed and she experienced very nasty behaviour from the pupils, so much so it affected her health so she resigned. She does enrichment for children in small groups mostly for grammar entry and thirteen plus and is inspirational. She is artistic (painting) and holidays in Italy. She is not well off but lives in a small rural hamlet and manages to afford a reasonable living. We were gladly paying her £30 an hour 2007.

SomewhereIBelong Tue 02-Jun-15 15:54:59

I used to tutor Maths as a part time job - 2 days a week I did groups of 4 HE for 2 hours each (4hr @£40 per hour for a same level group up to 6), those were my only weekday daytime hours!

rest of the time was 3.30 - 6.30 weekdays (usually filled 10hr at £20/hr) and Saturday mornings (4hr @£25/hr ). So managed about £460gross a week. Work hours paid do not of course include prep and marking which could take 1-2 hours a day.

Also in the right seasons worked as an exam invigilator at £8 per hour and as an exam marker which worked out at about £15 an hour but was paid by script marked. With the money from those spread through the year - and money taken out for tax/NI/insurance/materials/accountant and CRB checks etc - bearing in mind the holidays were very lean times, I probably took home £1000 to £1200 a month.

noblegiraffe Tue 02-Jun-15 20:01:30

You would probably be able to get daytime tutoring in schools working with C/D borderline students or pupil premium students if you approach the schools.

tethersend Wed 03-Jun-15 23:12:27

Have you considered looking into medical tuition services or outreach teaching?

Something along these lines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now