Teachers of mfl help please.

(11 Posts)
morethanpotatoprints Mon 01-Sep-14 12:50:34

Hello I was hoping for some advice/direction please.

My dd completed the Ks2 topics for Italian last year and is hopefully moving onto KS2 French this year.
She would ideally like to progress to the KS3 topics for Italian as well and study both languages alongside each other.

Next year (sept 2015) would be start of secondary and she would like to start German and also pick up some Latin during y8

First of all, does this sound like it is manageable in terms of not causing too much confusion, or would you advise a different approach.
Time is not a problem and she could dedicate 30 mins daily ( 2.5 hours per week) to study.

Oh, she does have a tutor but unfortunately she doesn't teach German hence us leaving that until next year.

morethanpotatoprints Thu 04-Sep-14 18:26:20

unashamed bump as we are due to start soon.
Anybody?

ChillySundays Thu 04-Sep-14 19:51:21

Not a teacher but it sounds quite a lot for a Y6 to be doing a load of languages.

wingcommandergallic Thu 04-Sep-14 19:54:26

My main concern would be how the schedule fits in with high school homework and other activities.

should Thu 04-Sep-14 19:55:33

Half an hour a day for four languages seems like next to nothing to me.

Our yr 6s are all at least bilingual (it's a bilingual school) and they take one extra language in year 6. For your dd to pick up anything much she'd need to be doing a lot more hours. Which I don't recommend at this stage.

Why the hurry?

morethanpotatoprints Thu 04-Sep-14 20:06:38

Hello, sorry I should have said my dd is H.ed so won't have high school homework.
She loves languages and sings which she wants to do as a career.
She will finally go to school for y9 and will need to have some knowledge of French and German by then to KS3 level.
She isn't looking at being bilingual and she isn't really in any hurry, it's just where her interests lie.

It really was just a case of knowing if two languages at once was too much at this age and whether the order seems to be good.

As I said in my OP her tutor doesn't teach German but if the recommendation was to do this now or another particular time we would obviously take the advice. Or any other suggestions anyone might have.

ChillySundays Thu 04-Sep-14 21:34:15

Which languages do they study at the secondary school? Sure my DS had the choice of german and french. Polish appeared on the exam timetable so I imagine that is the children of the polish families

wingcommandergallic Thu 04-Sep-14 22:19:59

Ah right. No. Two at once shouldn't be an issue and I believe Italian is quite easy to learn. She might find latin more of a challenge. Can she do a few taster sessions?

Coolas Thu 04-Sep-14 22:57:01

Italian and French are similar as both are romantic languages. Latin is at root of both. I would leave German on back burner in preference to other 3 at this stage. German pronunciation is very easy so she could start this in y8 or 9.

should Fri 05-Sep-14 07:31:41

I did French at German at the same time at school and don't recall it being an issue. I then added a third about 4 years later.

ChillySundays Fri 05-Sep-14 13:33:05

I think my concern as a mum is that come Y9 the school are teaching the same languages so that your DD is will not be able to progress in one as the school doesn't offer it and then she is behind on another language she hasn't studied but the others have been learning since Y7.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now