question for teachers re dirty nails

(18 Posts)
Bakersbum Sun 31-Aug-14 09:43:35

Hope you don't mind me asking a question here.

I'm not sure if my take on it is skewed from having a strict dm...do teachers notice/care about things like dirty nails? I mean like long nails thick black dirt, primary and secondary school age.

Thank you.

Littleturkish Sun 31-Aug-14 09:46:04

I think dirty nails on anyone- child or adult, is disgusting and unhygienic. If appropriate I'd send them to wash them.

If it was from playing outside and they'd just come in, however, I'd apply common sense. There is an expectation of children to get grubby if they're having fun doing grubby things!

Littlefish Sun 31-Aug-14 22:27:52

If children have dirt ingrained in their nails on a regular basis, it would cause me concern. I have taught foundation age children where dirty hands, feet and nails have been an indication of low level neglect of hygiene (alongside other signs).

Bakersbum Sun 31-Aug-14 23:06:46

Thank you both for your views, glad to know it isn't just me being over zealous.

We will keep working on it then with dsd's, being made to feel that and other hygiene things are a non-issue in general.

temporarilyjerry Wed 03-Sep-14 20:10:31

For me, it's ears. I notice when I am listening to them read. It distracts me from Biff and Chip's adventures. grin

bumpybecky Wed 03-Sep-14 22:03:50

dirty nails was given as an example of evidence of neglect in our safeguarding training this week

Bakersbum Wed 03-Sep-14 22:55:25

I can't stand dirty ears either!

That's interesting bumpy thanks.

MassaAttack Wed 03-Sep-14 23:24:02

I don't think I ever cleaned my child's ears. They were never grubby, though confused

Mrsgrumble Wed 03-Sep-14 23:26:11

I always notice and it would concern me if hygiene was consistently poor.

Also it is quite unpleasant for staff to work with pupils with poor hygiene.

Iggi999 Wed 03-Sep-14 23:42:45

My ds is able to emerge from the bath still with black fingernails - I think he's had the dirt tattooed on. I'd hope a few dirty days wouldn't lead to a call to SS, but generally dcs should show evidence of care I would think.

My 6 yo has constantly dirty nails no matter what I do. She's always bathed, hair washed and brushed, clean clothes, well turned out and well fed looking so I hope it's not raising any alarm bells. I don't know what she does to them but I am constantly attacking her with a nailbrush if home or wipes if out.

bumpybecky Thu 04-Sep-14 00:03:38

the dirty nails thing is just one sign, they would need a lot more than just a bit of dirty before any referral was made

sorry if I've worried anyone!

Mrsgrumble Thu 04-Sep-14 00:11:02

Agree with becky. Nails alone are no big deal. To be of major concern there would have to be other factors to cause investigation.

Cheeky76890 Thu 04-Sep-14 06:56:20

I know a kids with dirty nails and they are the opposite of neglected. They live on farms or have horses or belong to creative leftie parents and generally the kids are doing things (crafts or making huts/fires in the landscape) with friends rather then sat in a sterile room playing a computer alone. I'm sure there are children with dirty finger nails who are neglected though. The wider picture will give clarification

Bakersbum Thu 04-Sep-14 20:38:41

There are other issues too relating to hygiene and cleanliness. Don't get me wrong they are very much loved and not neglected, so I would hate for anything to be raised as a concern, some things have just been left to slide a bit.

We'll be working on it, without upsetting anyone hopefully.

MiaowTheCat Fri 05-Sep-14 18:00:41

I notice dirty nails more these days - since a child chirpily remarked to a colleague "cor I love it when we make bread miss, it gets the underneath of your nails really really clean"

Boakworthy does not describe it!

Happy36 Sun 07-Sep-14 00:06:57

Nails were mentioned in all of the safeguarding training I´ve had in recent years.

I´d expect children to wash their hands with soap at school before eating and after doing things like painting or with younger ones playing outside where their hands get dirty. Teachers and signs and general instilling of handwashing routines at school can reinforce what parents say and do at home.

I´d also expect parents to teach them / help them to use a nailbrush at home if the child´s nails have got particularly dirty from an activity.

Happy36 Sun 07-Sep-14 00:07:34

Miaowthecat That´s brilliant! (Boak).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now