Anyone else getting nervous about GCSE results?

(37 Posts)
EvilTwins Sun 17-Aug-14 17:37:23

It's crap really that any teachers feel nervous, but I'm getting the fear! I'm teaching a new GCSE course this time and my yr 11s will be getting results on Thursday. I am not sure what to expect and I'm really nervous!

Caitmous Sun 17-Aug-14 18:11:58

I feel sick about it. Had my first anxiety dream last night - dreamt 37%. My performance mgnt target is 75%! Woke up with the sweats!

Will need major hand holding come Wednesday!

EvilTwins Sun 17-Aug-14 18:15:33

What subject are you?

I'm planning a day out on Wednesday with my DTDs to take my mind off it and also to prevent my sending texts to the asst head, who is a close friend, and will be in school on Wednesday so will know then- don't want to put her in a difficult position. I am anticipating a sleepless night though.

Caitmous Sun 17-Aug-14 18:21:16

An Arts one - so v subjective and often hard to predict!

If I go in on Wed I'll have to take ds with me. Was trying to psych myself into being one of those amazing teachers who says 'it's the holidays' and waits to find out come Sept. Think I will feel sick not knowing so will probably just go in and face it!

Good you've got a supportive mate on SLT! Fingers crossed for you. And for a lovely day with your twins.

EvilTwins Sun 17-Aug-14 18:39:50

I'm Performing Arts, so same issue. I know what they got for their practical exam but don't know if my coursework marks were changed when I sent them off for moderation, and that's 60% of the grade. Also grade boundaries have been all over the place in the last few years, so predicting (my first year of doing it) was really hard.

Hobnobissupersweet Sun 17-Aug-14 21:48:00

I am not so stressed over the GCSE results, but was like that last week over A levels, one of the courses I teach had a nightmare last year ( not with me) and I was physically shaking trying to log onto eAQA at 6 am and was so bloody nervous I tried three time to put my password in as my username and vice versa hmm
Hope it all goes well on thursday, echo evils idea of sow thing very occupying on Wednesday to try to keep your mind off it.

FuzzyWizard Mon 18-Aug-14 11:48:35

Also feeling very nervous. I have relatively high hopes for the admittedly very small class I taught but am concerned about one of the other groups. It's all so uncertain this year. In my subject last year the year 11s did one 75 min exam in June, this year they had three 75 min exams. It's difficult to know how that will have affected revision etc.
I am also having a day out on Wednesday to keep my mind off it. I spent last Wednesday obsessing over A level grade boundaries. Don't want to do that again!

I'm utterly terrified. Our head gives us a 100% FFTD target for the GCSEs. I teach a very difficult class who are not in the least bit interested in getting their English GCSE. They are weak at the best of times and a bleeding nightmare at the worst. One of my boys didn't turn up the the majority of his exams, so I'd be deluding myself to think he will get his C target (as he was working at F/G all year).

Driving myself mad with worry. I know I couldn't have done any more (daily or weekly emails to parents begging for support; afterschool sessions that they didn't attend unless they were bribed; incomplete folders where they refused to work; constant class disruption, which to be fair most of them did in every subject they sat) and some of them will have tried, as I have 1 or 2 nice ones. But I am expecting to have a very very negative residual.
This will be worse than last year, and seen as I only ever teach the bottom sets at my leafy, supposedly middle class school, should be easier than it is.

Every year it knocks my confidence more than normal, and in my clique-y, nasty department, is pretty low at the best of times. It's a bloody good job I love the kids.

Apologies, this has turned into a venting session.

TeaAndALemonTart Mon 18-Aug-14 21:02:08

Do the GCSE Art teachers know the results already? I asked DS yesterday if the would already know and he wasn't sure.

Cherrypi Mon 18-Aug-14 21:08:28

Lancashire tea I think you should change schools.

FuzzyWizard Mon 18-Aug-14 21:12:23

LancashireTea- that sounds horrendous. Thankfully our Head, although she has high expectations is actually very reasonable and knows that 100% targets are unrealistic. Our targets are usually based on VA so if a few students miss targets it can be balanced out if others exceed targets.
Why are you always given bottom sets? Luckily my subject has no sets but in other subjects at my school they seem to be distributed fairly on a sort of rotation.
I hope it goes well for you on Thursday.

Teaandlemontart - heads and exams officers can access results on Wed but are sworn to secrecy. Teachers can access results from 6am on Thursday.

TeaAndALemonTart Mon 18-Aug-14 21:31:17

I just wondered because they surely marked the coursework and then the final piece before the moderators?

Also although I am a bit nervous about DS results it hasn't crossed my mind to blame the teachers!

EvilTwins Mon 18-Aug-14 21:36:16

You're right about coursework - in theory I ought to "know" my Performing Arts class's grades because I do know their practical exam marks (moderated on the day) and obviously I know the marks I gave their coursework. What I don't know is:
1) If the moderator adjusted any of my coursework marking
2) The grade boundaries

Grade boundaries are the biggie for me - having looked at the last 3 years' worth of marks, one of my student would have got a B with his total marks in 2012 but a D in 2013 with the same mark. I expect Art is the same thing. No one will know until the exam boards release the grades .

TeaAndALemonTart Mon 18-Aug-14 21:40:00

Thanks, I didn't realise the even had grade boundaries in Art, Doh.

Good luck for Thursday. I've seen a few of your replies/threads and if you were one of my DCs teachers I would be really happy with your dedication and the amount of effort you give your students.

Fuzzy - My HOD hates me. I wish I was joking. But only his girlfriend (the 2ic) and another woman (who the kids constantly tell me is utterly shite) only teach top. The rest of us are going mixed ability across all Key Stages except for the top sets that will be streamed. Probably because for the last 3 years I have had many a near nervous breakdown and my HOD is sick of my 'problems'. Plus our head is 100% terrified of my HOD because he is union rep, even though some of the things he has done, certainly since I've been there would warrant a warning, if not the sack.

Am now shitting myself in case I get outed IRL.

EvilTwins Mon 18-Aug-14 21:42:40

Thanks teaandlemontart blush I love my job.

FuzzyWizard Mon 18-Aug-14 21:47:03

LancashireTea- I really think you need to find another school. I've been in a position where I had no confidence, wasn't teaching as well as I could because I was in an environment with zero support and where I wasn't valued. I was looking for jobs outside of teaching. Finding the right school made the world of difference, suddenly people valued my work, I was supported to succeed and I learned to love my job again. It really is worth looking for a new school, it could do you the world of good. You are clearly a dedicated teacher, plenty of schools and departments would value your commitment.

TinklyLittleLaugh Mon 18-Aug-14 21:48:36

lancashire I'm not a teacher, but I know a friend who complained to her union about being made to teach bottom sets all the time. You say your HOD is the union rep, could you not go over his head to complain about him? It's surely very dodgy that his girlfriend cherry picks the high achieving classes.

Thanks for the lovely words Fuzzy. I can't leave just yet (although I did have 3 interviews for promotional roles at other schools but lost out to those with more exp) because all going well I'm going on maternity at Feb half term smile. I love the rest of my school, and the kids are on the whole great, but my department are just not easy to work with. When my classroom door is shut I always feel better.

Noregretsatall Mon 18-Aug-14 21:52:35

Yep, just starting to get nervous about it....

I could Tinkly (cute name btw). I don't like rocking the boat though, especially not at the moment. Besides they might get their just desserts considering the abysmal A level results that only those two teach atm.

FuzzyWizard Mon 18-Aug-14 21:58:29

Glad to hear that there are silver linings! The kids always seem to be the best bit of the job wherever you go. It's odd because people always seem to wince when I say I work in secondary but I think teenagers are great!

FuzzyWizard Mon 18-Aug-14 22:06:23

LancashireTea- just thinking about your results I don't know if your school had 4matrix (it's data analysis software) but if it does then there is a feature that allows you to look at how the students results in your subject compared to their average in other subjects. This could help you to show that although the top sets are meeting their targets your classes might actually be doing just as well in your subject relative to their others. It helps to show where underachievement is an issue with a subject/teacher and where it is actually a whole-school issue. You may actually find that your classes do better by this measure than the top sets. It sometimes throws up some really interesting questions at our school.

Sadly no, Fuzzy. We have a crappy spreadsheet the the SLT member in charge of date has botched created. Plus I have to do a question by question analysis as well. The data won't take long. And I know that some of my kids have failed Maths each time they were entered. I know I've done my best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now