ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Readaloud suggestions for Year 5 class please

(14 Posts)
falgelednl Wed 13-Aug-14 08:23:09

I am wondering what books you would recommend for reading aloud to my Y5 class.

outtolunchagain Wed 13-Aug-14 08:31:44

When in year 5 my ds did an Eva Ibbotson book , Journey to the River Sea.

falgelednl Wed 13-Aug-14 14:00:01

I have read Journey to Riversea to my Y5 classes before - I do love it as a readaloud, thank you.

I wonder if there are any other really good books to share...

MissMillament Wed 13-Aug-14 14:08:19

I love Michael Morpurgo's Kaspar Prince of Cats. Or Running Wild or Adolphus Tips.
Or if you have done enough Morpurgo in your time, then Lionboy by Zizou Corder is exciting.
Old-fashioned wise you can't go wrong with The Lion, the witch and the wardrobe or When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit.

TheObligatoryNotQuiteSoNewGirl Wed 13-Aug-14 14:57:50

I recommend Holes by Louis Sachar, or The Silver Sword, by Ian Serraillier

MissMillament Wed 13-Aug-14 15:19:13

Holes is so often used by secondaries in Y7 or 8 though that it is worth checking with local secondary first.

Agggghast Thu 14-Aug-14 06:54:58

Michael Morpurgo' Beowulf is a lovely book to read aloud.

falgelednl Fri 15-Aug-14 08:23:02

Thank you for these suggestions. We do quite a lot of Morpurgo in Guided Reading groups but yes, i could swap a few round and read one to the whole class. Must admit I have never read his 'Beowulf' so thinking I might read that anyway - for me and perhaps add it to my readaloud list.

Will leave 'Holes' as the children are likely to be pretty split between three local secondary schools so will leave that option open. I know I used to use it when I taught Y7 in Middle School.

Classics - I often use chunks but cannot recall the last time we read through a whole novel...

Thanks you - have added these to my own reading list and am thinking I have read Lionboy but cannot recall the story but think I can picture the front cover! Will have to check that one out.

Snapespotions Fri 15-Aug-14 08:27:33

My dd has just read Holes and loved it. She is about to go into year 5. smile

She also loves anything by Philip Pullman.

KyeStott Fri 15-Aug-14 08:30:37

I actually did a whole unit on The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe. I read it aloud plus we watched the original bbc series and at the end of term we watched the film.

falgelednl Sat 16-Aug-14 21:12:36

Using a book for a whole unit of work is great KysStott but we are moving to using Cornerstones planning so are pretty stuck with that, at least for this year.

Last year we spent the summer half term doing The Secret Garden - was great with trips, film and lots of great writing and drama.

Snapespotions glad your daughter enjoyed Holes - I can imagine my own daughter loving it soon (she is just going into Y3 so next year maybe). I am wondering how many children in my new class will have read/watched many things I might choose.

A friend suggested Small Changes for Stuart - I might read that too before I make my choice. Anyone know anything of it?

Thanks for all input.

falgelednl Sat 16-Aug-14 21:16:24

ANd having just checked out Google and seen that today would have been Dianna Wynne Jones' 80th birthday i am thinking maybe Castle in the Air or How;'s Moving Castle. Am sure I have them both upstairs somewhere...

Happy36 Thu 21-Aug-14 18:52:35

I Am David (Ann Holm) or Goodnight Mr. Tom (Michelle Magorian).

Leeds2 Fri 22-Aug-14 16:33:20

Street Child by Berlie Doherty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now