Should I put my foot down immediately?

(18 Posts)
Euphemia Mon 11-Aug-14 18:53:45

I've just gone PT (4 days per week). It's highly likely that I'm going to be asked to come in on my day off next week to cover a colleague's class, as supply teachers are like hen's teeth. I would be paid for the day.

I've gone PT to try to get some work-life balance. I don't need the extra cash. Should I feel at all bad about saying no? Setting the tone for the year?

I think I'm too anxious to please! I have to say no, don't I?! smile

Pico2 Mon 11-Aug-14 18:58:42

Say no. It isn't your responsibility and you need to ensure that you don't give the impression of availability as they might well start arranging stuff on the presumption that you are ok with it.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 11-Aug-14 19:01:02

Say no at least this once or you'll just be treated as full time...

Letthemtalk Mon 11-Aug-14 19:08:27

Well I wouldn't just say no out of principle, if it suited me to work then I would.

PuppyMonkey Mon 11-Aug-14 19:12:44

I'd tell them I had something else on, sorry and all that.

RandomMess Mon 11-Aug-14 20:15:26

Put your foot down.

"I work 4 days per week and I already have commitments on y day"

ZenNudist Mon 11-Aug-14 20:30:58

Set the example now or you will be expected to do it in the future. I'm not a teacher but it's the same in my profession. It's my responsibility to enforce my pt status. No one will respect your pt status if you don't.

Do you want to be on the hook for all sick cover on your day off? Thought not.

Euphemia Mon 11-Aug-14 21:28:24

Thanks for the support. I'll say I have another commitment. Which I do, to my own mental health. (Been on ADs since Easter!) smile

twentyten Mon 11-Aug-14 21:34:18

Keep firm! Not your problem! Think about that day a week as another job- I was given that advice when dd was small. Treat time with her like a work commitment- immovable. Start now

SnapeAndLily Mon 11-Aug-14 21:35:13

No - don't forget you will be likely to have a particular afternoon subject, which means you'll probably be responsible for writing that aspect of the end of year reports as well as your own class'...

ladygracie Mon 11-Aug-14 22:28:33

Yes - you need to say no this time definitely. It doesn't mean you will never help out but if you do it in the first week it will be expected.

drinkyourmilk Mon 11-Aug-14 22:31:59

If you want to do it go ahead.
If you would prefer not to, and have a hard time saying 'no', then make some plans quick! Even if its a dental appointment, or massage.

partialderivative Tue 12-Aug-14 13:53:06

Maybe say no by explaining your have some other (regular) commitments for that day.

I'm sure you would not be expected to explain what those commitments might be (tea, biscuits and daytime telly?), but you would be establishing your boundaries

FabulousFudge Tue 12-Aug-14 20:13:58

Say no! You could always say that sadly you have an appointment which can't be altered.

AdorabeezleWinterpop Tue 12-Aug-14 21:05:09

Say no. I started the last academic year on a .48 contract and ended up working .9 almost every week. It's a slippery slope...

noblegiraffe Wed 13-Aug-14 14:59:32

Say no. Otherwise you'll become their go-to supply teacher for that day.

Coolas Sun 17-Aug-14 02:00:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bigTillyMint Sun 17-Aug-14 02:03:27

Definitely say no and stick to it - if you want to only work 4 days, you dont want them thinking you can drop everything/nothing and come in at a moments notice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now