Ideas for activities/games for a large group of trainee Primary teachers!

(4 Posts)
TheAwfulDaughter Fri 08-Aug-14 18:52:05

I am planning my course's pre-PGCE social. The idea is that we all can mingle and gain a few friendly faces before the course actually begins.

We're booking out a social room in a pub, but I thought it would be good to have a bit of 'organised fun' for those who may be nervous in social situations, and to force people to break out of the established drinking groups they fall into early into the night.

I don't want to go overboard, but I just want 2-3 games or activities to spread across the night.

So far I've got a 'Are you smarter than a 10 year old' style pub quiz, with prizes. I was thinking of splitting this into four sections and making it the focus of the evening- but I don't know if anyone here had some other ideas?

TIA smile

TheAwfulDaughter Fri 08-Aug-14 18:52:31

Questions from the national curriculum obv!

Trapper Fri 08-Aug-14 19:37:47

I wouldn't do a quiz as it will restrict the evening too much. In fact I wouldn't really bother with ice breakers. Give out name badges and get people to put tier name and degree title on them, or name and favourite band or something and use that as a starting point.
In my humble experience introverts and shy people hate very structured icebreakers and the extroverts and gregarious don't need them.
Focus your efforts on introducing people and ensuring you are introducing people with common interests/ backgrounds.

Have a great night!

TheAwfulDaughter Fri 08-Aug-14 19:52:01

People are quite excited about the quiz though grin I'll restrict it to 15 questions though rather than making a big long thing of it.

Great idea about the name tags, didn't think of that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now