Has anyone ever managed to negotiate a full-time TLR on a part-time salary?

(11 Posts)
missy111 Fri 01-Aug-14 07:12:07

We have 4 PT HOD's at our school, but all get full TLR as you're doing the full HOD job...

PittTheYounger Wed 30-Jul-14 02:21:46

I do work on my day off though often and answer email etc. Attend meetings if I can

PittTheYounger Wed 30-Jul-14 02:21:10

Me.

CoolCadbury Sun 20-Jul-14 15:45:50

Not me but a colleague. 0.6 but f/t TLR. She is Phase Leader for KS2.

Phineyj Sat 19-Jul-14 20:16:37

OP, your thread has made me think. I am on an 0.8 and am subject leader for a sixth form subject, so get a TLR for that - pro rata, but now I think about it, obviously I am doing 100% of the work as I am the only subject teacher. pimms, I shall be bearing your argument in mind in any future pay negotiations!

isitpimmsoclockyet Sat 19-Jul-14 12:37:30

This was a few years ago, but in my last job I was HoD of two departments, history and RE and when I returned from maternity on a 0.6 my head agreed to pay me full whack for my responsibility points after I told him that if they didn't I'd only do 0.6 of the work....,,not in a nasty way , but I genuinely didn't see why they could only pay me 0.6 of the points when I was doing the same job as I'd done when I was full time.

The bursar wasn't happy, I lost count of the times she pointed out how unusual it was, but the Head agreed that I'd still be doing the same work as HoD and so paid me the full rate for it.

For me, going to three days a week meant I only lost one class so I was pretty much doing my usual full time teaching quota anyway.

I've never really thought about this but can see your point. It's not like you're going to write 0.6 of a SEF or only analyse 0.6 of the exam results is it?

I don't think you'll get full time pay though.

Could you maybe approach it differently and ask what you don't need to do? Eg if SEF gets updated half termly, could you do it termly?

TheFallenMadonna Thu 17-Jul-14 22:10:33

Oops. Misread the question. Yes, pro rata is standard.

noblegiraffe Thu 17-Jul-14 22:02:47

Teachers pay and conditions document section 37.1 says TLRs should be pro rata for part timers.

TheFallenMadonna Thu 17-Jul-14 21:51:47

What is the job? We have part time tlrs, but in departments where the work is part time, eg psychology, or where it is one of a team of tlrs in the same area.

loveableshoulder Thu 17-Jul-14 19:37:15

Secondary. Tlr2b, I think it is - lowest. I work 0.6, I receive 0.6 tlr. I do all the work, the responsibility for all falls to me. Yet apparently it would be unfair on ft teachers. I'm not sure how.

I've challenged ht publicly twice on this; he isn't prepared to budge.

Has anyone managed to negotiate this? How?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now