How to handle colleagues horrible attitude to children.

(11 Posts)
Fishstix Thu 17-Jul-14 02:01:41

Have been working pt at school for 18months. I've noticed that teacher in the adjoining lass is often abrasive, bad tempered, sarcastic and downright disparaging with the children. She works in the foundation class and one child has an issue that means he still wears nappies. After lunch she asks 'are you dirty X? In a really nasty way.

My son will be in her class next year and I am beginning to wonder if this is a mistake. She is in with a fully qualified teacher who obviously hears what goes on but ignored it, they are as thick as thieves so I would have no luck there. I am not the only staff member to notice it.

I have voiced my concerns to the head, twice and he admits he knows, but seems to be turning a blind eye. Where do I go from here? I can't stand her bitterness and obvious dislike of the kids, but I am concerned that if I push the head I will annoy him both on a parental level and a staff one.

noblegiraffe Thu 17-Jul-14 06:59:51

Go back to the head in writing as you've talked about it before and say it doesn't seem to have improved (implying they should have done something) and that as your DS will be in that class next year you are concerned that this should be followed up urgently.

Next step would be the governors.

FunkyBoldRibena Thu 17-Jul-14 07:05:52

I would write down a whole days or weeks worth of comments and send it to the governors and the head and demand some action is taken.

Justtoobad Thu 17-Jul-14 20:04:10

Record it on your phone and then say you'll write a letter. It's not right.

rollonthesummer Fri 18-Jul-14 07:07:06

Is she the teached? Why is she in with a 'fully qualified teacher'?

Littlefish Sat 19-Jul-14 22:10:50

If the Headteacher will not act, and you have concrete evidence, then I think you have no option but to whistleblow to either the governors or the local authority. You should have a copy of the local authority whistleblowing policy somewhere in school. If not, speak to HR at the local authority.

Fishstix Tue 22-Jul-14 21:29:38

She's the T.A. If I go to the governor or LA they will know it was me as I have already raised the subject twice with the head. I have children at the school and I work there. It will impact me hugely (which I can take) and potentially my children too ( which I can't take).

rollonthesummer Wed 23-Jul-14 08:41:39

Sorry-you said she was the teacher, that's why I asked! Thanks for clearing that up.

Glastogirl Fri 25-Jul-14 08:24:59

Are you at my school? We have a TA who is like this, she controls them by fear and often covers the class when teacher is away.
It's dreadful to her her scream and shout so nastily to the children. She never does it when a parent/ other staff are there and always turns on the charm. It's so fake it's dreadful but she's so well liked in school no-one would do anything about if.

Littlefish Wed 06-Aug-14 21:55:46

There should be a specific whistleblowing policy which will protect you.

Coolas Sun 10-Aug-14 11:39:26

Do not record her on your phone as this is illegal.
I would request a meeting with the head and take with you documentation of what you have personally observed/ heard (not hearsay). Ask about the timeframe for follow up. When you leave the meeting, write up what happened.
If there is no change then ask to speak to the governors and take with them your meeting notes and concerns.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now