Year 1 teachers can you tell me if I am in the right track with my Literacy interview lesson?

(11 Posts)
saadia Sat 12-Jul-14 07:47:33

Apart from few days observing during my PGCE I don't know much about Year 1. I have planned a lesson around reading a story, predicting what happens at the end and what the main character says.

The children will then fill in speech bubbles and then convert these into sentences with speech marks. Does that sound like the right kind of activity for this time of year?

FunkyBoldRibena Sat 12-Jul-14 07:50:25

Do you know there is a new curriculum? Make sure that your activity links directly to it.

saadia Sat 12-Jul-14 07:59:55

Thank you FunkyBoldRibena, that's a good point. Will have a look.

SunflowerStalks Sat 12-Jul-14 08:09:29

Absolutely no way half of mine could do that. They could do the speech bubble bit but not the putting into sentences.

How about commas? I'm sure you could find a good story with a list in it - hungry catterpillar, then create lists of what he ate.

After an introduction mine would take 20-30 mins to write 3 simple sentences (lower end of the class).
eg. My caterpillar ate a cake, a pear and a leaf.

Or you could read a character description (first few pages of The Twits) a

SunflowerStalks Sat 12-Jul-14 08:10:35

and write Mr Twit is mean, nasty and ugly.

SunflowerStalks Sat 12-Jul-14 08:12:39

And the higher ability is Mr Twit is .... because (or when) ........

PamBagnallsGotACollage Sat 12-Jul-14 08:16:17

I'd say speech marks would be tricky for a lot of y1s. Maybe a character description as a PP suggested with one adjective per noun for LA and a string of adjectives with commas for HA.

Goblinchild Sat 12-Jul-14 08:27:36

Have you not read the new National curriculum document?
Punctuating direct speech is still in the expectations for KS2, Y3.

At Y1 level, I'd be looking at punctuation involving capital letters, question marks, full stops and exclamation marks and if they could decide which to use at the end of a sentence.

saadia Sat 12-Jul-14 09:58:06

Thank you so much everyone for your ideas, I will change it.

I did look at the new NC and saw that Goblinchild but thinking back to my Reception class the highers were using capital letters and full stops and recognising question and exclamation marks in the Spring Term. And looking back at my dc's year one books they had started with speech marks at around this time.

Goblinchild Sat 12-Jul-14 10:10:11

I agree that if you know the cohort, then an expectation of confident use of speech marks is very reasonable in Y2.
Depends on your knowledge of the general level the children are at, but I'd have a fall-back idea if they make a complete cock-up of the second part of your task, such as role play and reading their speech bubbles aloud.

saadia Sat 12-Jul-14 10:18:36

Yes that's a good idea. I had another y1 interview lesson where the task i planned was far too easy for the class, but luckily the HT and DHT were happy that I could evaluate the lesson and suggest ideas for what I could have done differently. There is definitely a lot of variation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now