Part-time staff on school trip

(30 Posts)
smugmumofboys Wed 09-Jul-14 18:33:37

I'll try to keep this vague. If you teach part-time and you go on a trip (UK or overseas) and this falls on a day, or part day, on which you usually don't work, does your school pay you?

I'm not talking about weekends or evenings as nobody gets paid for these.

FeministStar Sat 02-Aug-14 18:30:15

No. Before I left the profession, we were expected to do school trips on our day off. We didn't get extra pay or time off in lieu.

maddy68 Thu 10-Jul-14 21:17:07

In short no

smugmumofboys Thu 10-Jul-14 17:43:58

I agree goldenlilies. The 'we must be fair to full-time staff' line is trotted out so often that I think it's at the expense of fairness to part-timers.

goldenlilliesdaffodillies Thu 10-Jul-14 16:57:04

I work in a private school and don't get anything extra for going on trips or INSET days. This is rather annoying when we have 2 INSET days at the beginning of every term which are never on my teaching days. This also involves paying for extra child care too as the children aren't back then either.
I do find as a part time teacher you end up being expected to do so much extra stuff in your own time. If you ever complain then it looks like you are the unreasonable one! (And you don't get thank you cards or verbal thanks at the end of term either).

GretchenWiener Wed 09-Jul-14 23:12:52

I'm doing this on next week. Don't presume to bs pays as I volunteered knowing it's my day off.

SuffolkNWhat Wed 09-Jul-14 23:11:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I would love to offer all of you jobs believe me! We are an independent school and I wish the funding existed for all teachers in the state sector to be treated well. Or at least better than they are. You guys have better maternity provision than us though.

stillenacht1 Wed 09-Jul-14 21:45:14

Smugmumofboys I agree

smugmumofboys Wed 09-Jul-14 21:44:53

Hearts. Please may I come and work for you? smile

Petula - we don't get paid for holidays or weekends anyway, so I wouldn't expect to get paid for them. You just kind of suck it up. My point here is that we're away during a working week when everyone else will be getting paid for the full day. Except me but I won't be working any less than them and can't finish at lunchtime as I would normally do.

This has been really interesting, to hear about the range of experiences.

soverylucky Wed 09-Jul-14 21:44:12

WOW - I would love the voucher. I get nothing extra for giving up October half term every year.

I pay our teachers for pretty much every second they spend (timetabled) in school or for school IYSWIM. I mean, I don't pay them for a little extra marking or planning or whatever but if they go on a trip on one of their days off, residential or otherwise, they get paid. And staff on residential trips get a £50 spa or M&S voucher on their return. Not even a drop in the bucket compared to the work and responsibility they take on in doing a residential, but they do appreciate it.

MsRainbow Wed 09-Jul-14 21:22:38

I work mornings and if I ever do an afternoon then I have a morning off at another time. I don't think I would ever get paid for it but management never have issue with me taking the owed time off.

MrsKCastle Wed 09-Jul-14 21:04:50

Yes. I usually work mornings, if I am asked to do an all-day trip (or stay and work the afternoon for another reason) the SMT always remind me to claim for it.

stillenacht1 Wed 09-Jul-14 21:00:45

Nope...no more than usual. Recently did 4 days abroad (including full weekend) and taught 12 days on trot...no extra.

PetulaGordino Wed 09-Jul-14 20:59:39

sorry, i've only just noticed that you've excluded these in the op

but i'm still wondering about this

PetulaGordino Wed 09-Jul-14 20:58:53

op what happens at your school if trips go over weekends or holidays?

PetulaGordino Wed 09-Jul-14 20:55:50

this is interesting. dp is a fulltime teacher, and because he has various additional responsibilities that include running residential school trips, he has so far spent february and may half terms, half of the easter holidays, and 9 out of the last 12 weekends away on residential trips with school. he doesn't get paid any extra. he does have to point this out when colleagues complain about covering his lessons due to trips because they're perceived as jollies

smugmumofboys Wed 09-Jul-14 20:49:59

To be honest, I'd just like the money. It seems unfair that the other staff on the trip will be getting paid when I'm not, purely by dint of the fact that they are ft.

bloodyteenagers Wed 09-Jul-14 20:44:10

Anything that goes over our hours, we are told to full out a form to get paid.
Residential trip, a bit extra in your wages plus a couple of days off.
We have staff on different wages, and the school is aware that some staff could go under the nmw from extra hours, so has the blanket policy of everyone claims/days off in lieu.

soverylucky Wed 09-Jul-14 20:31:04

I have done day trips on days that I don't work and I have been able to swap the days for later in the term - usually a sports day when I am not essential.

smugmumofboys Wed 09-Jul-14 19:14:41

That's really interesting toomuch. That's kind of my gut reaction: I shouldn't even have to ask and yet I feel like I've asked for something unreasonable. Anyway, I've contacted my union so we'll see.

toomuchicecream Wed 09-Jul-14 19:10:39

Yes. I've led year 6 residentials with both part time teachers and TAs (including me one year). Always paid full time hours for the week. You're giving up your evenings and sleep, so it's unreasonable to ask people to work the days for free too.

When I did a year six trip over a weekend (different school) I got 2 days off in lieu to be taken whenever I wanted. Could be the following week for recovery, or at any other time of my choosing.

smugmumofboys Wed 09-Jul-14 19:09:47

It sounds like you have great ht there hula. Ours seems to forget that goodwill runs both ways.

Hulababy Wed 09-Jul-14 19:08:00

None of our teachers or TAs even have to ask. The HT has always had this policy; the new HT who took over this term (was DH) follows the same policy.
We just fill in the extra hours form, hand it to the office and it gets sorted.

smugmumofboys Wed 09-Jul-14 19:05:08

Interesting replies. Thank you all.

I'm trip leader and am taking students abroad. On one of the days we are there I usually only do a half day. It hadn't occurred to me to ask for payment but then I met some colleagues at an event and some of those who were pt got payment in such circs as a matter of course.

I asked my head and he said no as essentially no-one asked me to organise a trip. The fact that no-one else in the dept was prepared to do it is neither here nor there tbh.

It's just yet another bit of chipping away at my goodwill and I'm certainly not alone in feeling that way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now