Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

Part-time staff on school trip

(30 Posts)
smugmumofboys Wed 09-Jul-14 18:33:37

I'll try to keep this vague. If you teach part-time and you go on a trip (UK or overseas) and this falls on a day, or part day, on which you usually don't work, does your school pay you?

I'm not talking about weekends or evenings as nobody gets paid for these.

GretchenWiener Wed 09-Jul-14 23:12:52

I'm doing this on next week. Don't presume to bs pays as I volunteered knowing it's my day off.

goldenlilliesdaffodillies Thu 10-Jul-14 16:57:04

I work in a private school and don't get anything extra for going on trips or INSET days. This is rather annoying when we have 2 INSET days at the beginning of every term which are never on my teaching days. This also involves paying for extra child care too as the children aren't back then either.
I do find as a part time teacher you end up being expected to do so much extra stuff in your own time. If you ever complain then it looks like you are the unreasonable one! (And you don't get thank you cards or verbal thanks at the end of term either).

smugmumofboys Thu 10-Jul-14 17:43:58

I agree goldenlilies. The 'we must be fair to full-time staff' line is trotted out so often that I think it's at the expense of fairness to part-timers.

maddy68 Thu 10-Jul-14 21:17:07

In short no

FeministStar Sat 02-Aug-14 18:30:15

No. Before I left the profession, we were expected to do school trips on our day off. We didn't get extra pay or time off in lieu.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now