Requesting part time after maternity leave - what, when and how??

(7 Posts)
Sparkle9 Sat 05-Jul-14 08:40:40

I will soon be going on maternity leave and I'm a primary teacher on the SLT. I would like to come back 3 or 4 days but I'm not sure what is the best plan of action for requesting this? Informal chat with the HT? Straight to the formal request?

Cernabbas Sat 05-Jul-14 08:45:23

Informal chat with HT to discuss your needs and take it from there. HT would need an official letter at some point, but I would have thought it would be more likely that your request is accepted if you talk it through sooner rather than later.

MsInterpret Sat 05-Jul-14 08:47:48

Definitely informal chat first. You can work out details with them to mutually agreeable terms then add all of that to the formal request.

Sparkle9 Sat 05-Jul-14 11:12:09

And should I begin this chat before or during maternity leave?

noblegiraffe Sat 05-Jul-14 20:54:14

I would wait until you've had the baby. You might find you feel differently about what you want to do once its here.

The TES forum has a standard letter and lots of advice for how to go about your request.

HamAndPlaques Sat 05-Jul-14 23:15:55

Yes, wait until you've had the baby and see how you feel. In the meantime, it is a good idea to start noting precedents of part-time working so that you can call on them if necessary when you make your request.

ShineSmile Sat 05-Jul-14 23:21:56

Yes definitely wait till after baby, don't rush any decision making.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now