ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Working within Early Years/Foundation Stage

(4 Posts)

Hello everyone, hope you don't mind me popping my head into this bit of the boards to ask for some advice. At the moment, I'm currently volunteering in a children's centre, and am waiting to do my CACHE Level 2 in September. I have no DC of my own but love what I do in the centre and will be progressing to Level 3 (all being well) once I've completed Level 2.

I'm not sure yet whether I'd then go onto gain Qualified Teacher Status, or simply stick with the Level 3. I have a degree in an unrelated subject, does the subject of any degree have an impact if I did decide to go down the teaching route?

Also, does anyone have any tips for Level 2/3? I think I will have to do some plans, and I know I'll get observed for my competency based units, but as they've just redesigned the CACHE qualifications, I don't know much else.

For those who teach Foundation Stage, what's the planning and paperwork load like? I'm amazed that even a parent and child play together session at our centre requires a fair amount of paperwork - then the children who attend our smaller groups all have learning journeys that need to be kept up to date, and targets set for those children.

I had NO idea early years was like that, when I started. It doesn't put me off, but I just didn't expect it. I suspect my learning curve will be quite steep, so any tips on surviving would be most welcome!

toomuchicecream Thu 03-Jul-14 05:29:40

With sufficient experience and good references from relevant settings, degree subject completely irrelevant in my experience (mine is Business Studies).

Loads and loads of paperwork for everything in schools. Individual learning journeys for all Reception children full of observations, photos, evidence of what they can do

Thank you toomuch - my friend has just completed her PGCE and had to delay a year due to having no real experience, I was just wondering if my film production degree would totally block that route. She has a degree in a much more traditional subject so I assumed that's what would be required.

I suppose because my degree consisted of a LOT of paperwork to back up the practical stuff, the idea doesn't bother me so much - I do however, need to get through the new EYFS scheme at some point. It's just such heavy reading!

adp73 Tue 08-Jul-14 17:53:30

Hi there I am a Registered Childminder and work withing the Early Years Foundation Stage.

If you have a degree I am not sure why you are bothering with L2 I would go straight to L3.

I don't have a Degree I have and HHD which I did in 1978! I did the L3 Diploma Children and Young People's Workforce 2 years ago with no problem at all, just a bit of a slog getting through all the written assignments and I have to say they were rather repetative. I had 6 visits to my home by my assessor to observe me working over the 15 months I did my course. I attended a Study day once a month and submitted the most of the Units online and some were done verbally with my assessor who was lovely. I used a Penny Tassoni Text book for most of the time though I did use others as well. You need to have a very good knowledge of both parts of EYFS, The Welfare Requirements and Development Matters and make sure you get a copy of the updated version because it changes a bit from Sept 2014. The cheapest place to buy a copy of the EYFS is the Pacey website.

www.shop.pacey.org.uk/shop/EYFS_Framework.html

Good luck and if you need any help with any of the work feel free to send me a message I would be glad to help if I can.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now