What professional body does a Local authority home tutor belong to? Complaint-related.

(12 Posts)
NoRunAround Fri 13-Jun-14 14:25:04

Can anyone tell me what professional standards (for want of a better word) apply to them?

I would like to make a complaint about unacceptable behaviour and data breach. The LA is covering up. Is there a professional body?

MrsJoeDolan Fri 13-Jun-14 23:24:31

none I would imagine!

Blondieminx Fri 13-Jun-14 23:27:05

Try the ICO regarding the data breach.

NoRunAround Sat 14-Jun-14 09:52:47

Thanks.

I can't complain to the ICO until I've exhausted the LA official complaints process which will drag on and on.......

Is a home tutor (a primary school teacher doing this part-time) really not subject to any regs?

Blondieminx Sat 14-Jun-14 11:43:04

I don't know, sorry.... I hope someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly!

NotCitrus Sat 14-Jun-14 12:47:58

The LA process shouldn't be more than a month or so - if no joy after that, then the ICO should be interested.

Hang on... is this someone who is a local authority employee doing private work in their own time or someone who is employed by the local authority to provide an additional service outside of their ususal work hours?

What exactly is the data protection breach?

HamAndPlaques Sat 14-Jun-14 13:08:20

Is the LA the tutor's employer? I'm confused as to the exact set-up.

NoRunAround Sat 14-Jun-14 13:12:49

The LA is the tutor's employer. The tutor teachers children who are medically unable to attend school, or have been excluded.

HamAndPlaques Sat 14-Jun-14 13:42:40

Right, I see.

I'm afraid that the LA is your main recourse at the moment. Teachers employed in maintained schools used to have to be registered with the GTCE but it has been disbanded, and frankly was pretty toothless anyway. Hope that you get some answers soon.

NoRunAround Sat 14-Jun-14 13:50:13

Thanks, I don't know why I'm surprised there's no regulation hmm

bronya Sat 14-Jun-14 14:06:57

There's no more/less regulation than of a teacher in a school. A teacher in any role is subject to their employer, and to the various regulations requiring background checks etc. In a school, complaints are dealt with by the Head Teacher - in your case, by whoever is this person's line manager in the LA. If nothing criminal has been done, the worst sanction is that they lose their job and have an awful reference. Same as most jobs really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now