Starting a new job in Jan

(5 Posts)
Smerlin Thu 12-Jun-14 23:17:17

Am returning to work after mat leave but think I am going to have to look for a new job due to school trying to 'freeze me out' since becoming pregnant.

To avoid paying back mat pay, I have to work until end Sep so that gives me the option of looking for a Jan start job or waiting a full year to start a new job in Sep '15.

Has anyone taken a Jan start job? Is it a nightmare as timetables already arranged, not starting at the beginning of an academic year etc? If so, I can work the full year and keep my head down...

saadia Fri 13-Jun-14 12:21:26

Hi Smerlin, I started a Maternity Cover position in January and it was fine. The plus points were that the classroom had already been set up and routine established (was in Reception). Timetables were already set up and children had been grouped but nothing was set in stone and I was able to introduce any changes that I wanted.

toomuchicecream Fri 13-Jun-14 19:24:11

I've twice changed jobs in Jan (primary) and it was absolutely fine.

rollonthesummer Fri 13-Jun-14 23:08:20

What have they done to freeze you out?

Smerlin Fri 13-Jun-14 23:22:51

I was successfully carrying out an 'acting' job which they have now advertised as a permanent job during my ML but nobody told me and the deadline has passed so I can't apply for the job I did unofficially for a year. Not being given exam classes that I had before. Could all be 'accidental' but their attitude towards me changed as soon as I became pregnant, to the extent that my union had to get involved, and seems a bit of a coincidence that I return from ML to very diminished responsibilities.

I really loved my job and was looking forward to returning, as much as one can with a baby, but now cannot imagine going in day after day with little responsibility and other teachers pitying me.

Sorry if being a bit vague but never know who is reading sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now