How many observations are ok for supply teachers.

(11 Posts)
superstarheartbreaker Thu 12-Jun-14 19:33:20

1 a week at the moment!

PatTheHammer Thu 12-Jun-14 19:36:38

Is one a week the normal school policy for all the teachers, including any long term supply?

Jeez, it does make me wonder how the bloody hell people have time for this. Who's covering their classes whilst they do all this observation? Or if they have that much free time why not teach the classes themselves and not bother getting a supply teacher.

Seriously, we have 2 observations a year. Slightly more if you are an NQT.

superstarheartbreaker Thu 12-Jun-14 19:40:22

I'm fed up tbh as this was not what I signed up for. I really want to leave tbh. I've told the agency.

rollonthesummer Thu 12-Jun-14 19:42:03

Who is observing you and why?

PatTheHammer Thu 12-Jun-14 19:42:24

It sounds crap but can you sit it out till end of term? 4 weeks left, 4 obs? Then you get a decent reference?

Are the obs actually helpful in any way?

superstarheartbreaker Thu 12-Jun-14 19:45:39

They are sort of but there is criticism too. First obs was very negative. Second obs was much more positive.

superstarheartbreaker Thu 12-Jun-14 19:50:35

In other words criticism is at last constructive.

PatTheHammer Thu 12-Jun-14 19:53:47

Is it the same person? I just think you ought to ask them if its ordinary practise to observe once a week or if they are making an exception for you as you are supply and perhaps they weren't convinced after the first observation?

Tbh we have quite a few long term supply teachers at the moment as a fair few people have gone on maternity leave. I would be surprised if they had been observed more than once.

PatTheHammer Thu 12-Jun-14 19:55:22

Legally of course you should consult your union if you think it's not above board.

cardibach Thu 12-Jun-14 19:57:40

Observation of supply? Is that even a thing?

MissMillament Fri 13-Jun-14 21:31:11

I taught a whole term of supply last year and was never observed. I was a bit annoyed actually.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now