ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

can I manage financially to go part time?

(7 Posts)
Luggagecarousel Tue 10-Jun-14 17:57:45

I've looked all through the numbers, and I don't think I can.

sad

Is there anyone here who taught full time, then went part time recently, and wouldn't mind saying what there take home pay was, what it is now, and what their hours are?

Thank you

butterflyroom Tue 10-Jun-14 18:00:31

If you ask the school office for the phone number for payroll, they will give you an exact (and confidential) answer to the pound if you ask them about different scenarios. Very useful and accurate. They do there and then on the phone. I did it and worked out I needed to stay full time.

CharlesRyder Tue 10-Jun-14 18:03:07

If you google Teacher's Pay Calculator there is (or was) something that will work it out for you. It depends where you are on the pay scale, what zone you live in etc.

I do 0.7 and take home £1800pcm but I have allowances and live in the fringe.

Luggagecarousel Tue 10-Jun-14 18:16:58

Thank you, very helpful.

TheDuchessOfSalford Tue 10-Jun-14 18:40:52

This one works out all of it, including tax, NI, pensions, etc for your pay grade and gives you your take home pay.

phlebasconsidered Tue 10-Jun-14 19:10:01

My half-time teachers rate is equivalent to what was my full time HLTA rate. As I managed on my HLTA, and now hate FT teaching, I am considering either half-time, if I can find it, or back to HLTA. I am on M2, no extra responsibilities, live in the sticks with no extras, and take home £1,487 FT pcm. So half that for half time. Which is shite, really, for the work I do. I earnt much more with fringe. It really makes a difference. I feel foolish for allowing the academy to pay cut me for changing from secondary to primary, I was on M5 there.

YokoUhOh Tue 10-Jun-14 19:14:12

0.8, TLR2, no London weighting: £1585 per month (after 243 childcare vouchers taken out). Am on UPS1.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now